• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where have my Goldfinches gone?? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
Until recently we have had regular flocks of Goldfinches in the garden-often as many as 20+
A few days ago we noticed we were not seeing them and kept a watch. We have not seen them for over a week.
The feeders are stocked with the same niger seed and nothing has changed.
We are getting all the other species-just no Goldfinches
Has anyone else had the same experience ?

I have always found Goldfinch to be hit and miss with niger feeders - some winters, they are there every day, but this year they are rare (even as the weather gets colder).

On a similar note, where have all the Greenfinches gone? They used to be the dominant species at my bird table, but this winter it took over a month for the first to appear and they are still seldom seen. At the same time, the local sparrow flock has grown in numbers and both Blue and Great Tits are constantly visiting, as are Robin and Dunnock.

i too have noticed greenfinches becoming less of a visitor in my garden, goldfinches are still visiting but not as much, but litterally at the bottom of my street i see goldfinches on my local patch everyday, so for me at least i think its the birds following there insticts and feeding of natural food as i often see them on thistleheads

Mine went awol for a couple of weeks & returned today David.
One Goldfinch ignored the niger seed and headed directly for the seed/nut mix I re-located a few days ago. I put this feeder near my door for close up views of common garden birds!
Hope they return for you.

Attachments

• DSC_0039.JPG
    DSC_0039.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 114
Hi from the North West of England:

I have around 12 Greenfinch daily at present and they give the Starlings some banter to ghet to the feeders!!

However my Goldfinch (6+ most days) stay in the conifer trees and dont bother with the feeders at all even though I have Nijer seeds on offer, although I did see one Goldfinch making tentative steps towards the feeding station without trying it out.

The Greenfinch seem to be the only ones at the moment eating the Nijer

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back