• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greylag Goose behaviour (1 Viewer)

Stoggler

Getting to grips with young gulls
At Pulborough Brooks on Saturday morning I watched some flocks of Greylags coming into land on the North Brooks, and I noticed that as they all were coming in to land, many or most of the individual birds would momentarily flip over so that they are for-all-intents-and-purposes flying upside down for a second.

It does look quite odd, especially when they're coming in a direction towards you! But I was wondering if anyone knows what they're doing when they do this? Is it a signal to the others saying "ok chaps, time to land for tiffin!", or is it a way of slowing down as I did notice that that action does seem to slow the individual down?

Thanks

This is known as Whiffling and is a way of rapidly loosing height and i guess slowing down when coming in to land its quite common amongst Geese and I've seen Ducks do it aswell particulary Shelducks.

I see Canada Geese "whiffling" regularly on this side of the water. It can be quite entertaining to watch sometimes, particularly in the winter when followed by sliding on the ice of frozen ponds.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back