• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler in Southern California. (1 Viewer)

PONYRCR

This little bird as been driving me crazy the last few weeks.

Every morning it visits my honeysuckle. Usually as I'm getting my son out the door to school. By the time I can run back in and grab my bins it's gone.

Today the little sucker decided to quit playing hide and seek.

I saw it in the honeysuckle and had time to run in the house, grab my camera, and find it in exactly the same place. I even got off a few grab shots.

It's a most drab little bird. Drab olive above and drab yellow below. That's it. No white or other markings on it.

These aren't the best photos but all I had a chance to get.

I also saw a very similar little bird today. This one was feeding in a plant just outside my kitchen window so I had a good chance to observe it. At first I thought it was the same one. This other bird was also a drab olive above and drab yellow below, but looked to have an ever so slight white eye ring, and a thiner/sharper bill. Same birds?? Sorry no pics of the 'kitchen' bird.

Attachments

• DSC_0183.JPG
    DSC_0183.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_0184.JPG
    DSC_0184.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0185.JPG
    DSC_0185.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC_0186.JPG
    DSC_0186.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0187.JPG
    DSC_0187.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 81
That makes sense. I used to get Am. Goldfinches in my yard all the time when I put Niger seed out.

The other little bird I saw out my kitchen window was nearly identical in the drab coloring but had a much thinner bill, a faint eye ring and may have been a touch smaller then the Goldfinch. Any idea what that might have been?

I wish I had grabbed my camera but I was so fascinated watching the little guy.

Hi PONYRCR,

I'm getting a real Lesser Goldfinch vibe from your images, though the lighting is tricky on them. Your describing a bird that is very drab with olive tones above and yellowish below. That fits real well with a female Lesser Goldfinch.

http://www.bobsteelephoto.com/Species/lego.html

Also, the wingbars visible look thinner to me than those of American Goldfinch, and there seems to be a slight hint of streakiness to the back. American Goldfinches are mostly tan colored in winter with yellowish heads, but with very dark wings and usually thick, buffy wingbars.

http://www.bobsteelephoto.com/Species/amgo.html

Chris

PONYRCR said:
The other little bird I saw out my kitchen window was nearly identical in the drab coloring but had a much thinner bill, a faint eye ring and may have been a touch smaller then the Goldfinch. Any idea what that might have been?

I wish I had grabbed my camera but I was so fascinated watching the little guy.
What about this?

http://www.roysephotos.com/OrangeCrownedWarbler.html

Chris

Orange-crowned Warbler is in the genus Vermivora which translated means "worm eating." Doesn't seem that a bird with a conical bill would eat many worms. I wonder if this points to something else? : )

jcwings said:
Orange-crowned Warbler is in the genus Vermivora which translated means "worm eating." Doesn't seem that a bird with a conical bill would eat many worms. I wonder if this points to something else? : )
Hey jcwings,

The way I interpreted PONYRCR was that he had the pictured bird (Lesser Goldfinch to my eye) AND a second species that was colored like the goldfinch but with a thinner bill. It is that second species that is possibly an Orange-crowned Warbler.

PONYRCR said:

Chris

Chris Benesh said:
Hey jcwings,

The way I interpreted PONYRCR was that he had the pictured bird (Lesser Goldfinch to my eye) AND a second species that was colored like the goldfinch but with a thinner bill. It is that second species that is possibly an Orange-crowned Warbler.

Chris

Chris you are correct.

The warbler was one I saw out my kitchen window today. No picture.

P.S. - I'm a she. |:$|

JoAnne

PONYRCR said:
Chris you are correct.

The warbler was one I saw out my kitchen window today. No picture.

P.S. - I'm a she. |:$|

JoAnne
Yikes!

Sorry about that JoAnne. I won't let that happen again! I see that you are big into horseracing. I'm a fair weather fan myself.

Chris :egghead:

AmpelisChinito said:
American Goldfinch, nonbreeding. Check in your Sibley's. I wish I had those in my backyard!
I've got plenty up here in north central Vermont is that normal this late.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back