• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (12 Viewers)

Birding Today at the reserve.
As ever Oriole Boy arrived after the work8-P
But spent a few hours eating cake drinking tea and occasionally looking at the few birds on offer.
Moors:
Little Grebe 3, Shoveler 6, Teal 60+, Tufted 5, Cormorant 35, Coot 200+, water rail and kingfisher calling from back of secret garden. Snipe 6, lapwing c100, Curlew 16 feeding in A38 field, Herring Gulls many over all day, around secret G..treecreeper, great spotted woodp, plus many redwing and a few fieldfare.
At the feeding station at least 9 Bullfinches, Mistle thrush and song thrush. Also 2 raven. A grey wag was in the seasonal pool.
Flashes: From the 1st flash hide
Teal c20, curlew 16 roosted, snipe 3, Lapwing 30+, BHG at least 500 and a herring gull roosted. c50 redwing and small numbers of fieldfare and song thrush also a water rail called.
B :)John

More pics from today

The 1st two pics are of the seasonal pool after today's cutting up and removal of large trunks. the green cut stumps are the treated trees that wont grow again.
the 3rd pic shows part of the cormorant flock on the moors.

Attachments

• resized seasonal pool after logs chopped 13th dec11.jpg
    resized seasonal pool after logs chopped 13th dec11.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 74
  • resized se pool 2nd view.jpg
    resized se pool 2nd view.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 70
  • resized cormos moors13th dec11.jpg
    resized cormos moors13th dec11.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 60
Ok, this isn't Upton Warren based but I'm sure it is something we all feel strongly about.

Please help protect our Birds of Prey. Call for the iintroduction of offence of vicarious liability for raptor persecution in England. So please sign this petition:
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/23089

Scotland, recognising that those who persecute birds of prey frequently do so at the direction of their employers or others with vested interests, has introduced an offence of vicarious liability, the purpose of which is to bring those parties to justice. This petition calls on the government to introduce an offence of vicarious liability to bring to justice those who direct or turn a blind eye to raptor persecution in England.

As an indication of how bad thing are, in the last year only four pairs of hen harriers successfully reared chicks in England, fourteen peregrine falcon territories failed on grouse moors in Lancs forest of Bowland, and only one successful goshawk nest was recorded in the Derwent Valley, Derbyshire. Current legislation is not enough to deter those who break the law and destroy our heritage; the introduction of vicarious liability would hit those directing the slaughter.

Attachments

• bop.jpg
    bop.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Andy H on site? Is that to ensure no more illicit erections appear :-O:-O

Looks a superb days work by you all again. Cutting areas in rotation should provide even more feeding and breeding areas. I may have to come over all optimistic again in March and suggest we'll have a great spring ... :t:

Hope you've utilised all those cut branches to provide a plethora of Kingfisher perches ;)

Ok, this isn't Upton Warren based but I'm sure it is something we all feel strongly about.

Please help protect our Birds of Prey. Call for the iintroduction of offence of vicarious liability for raptor persecution in England. So please sign this petition:

Scotland, recognising that those who persecute birds of prey frequently do so at the direction of their employers or others with vested interests, has introduced an offence of vicarious liability, the purpose of which is to bring those parties to justice. This petition calls on the government to introduce an offence of vicarious liability to bring to justice those who direct or turn a blind eye to raptor persecution in England.

As an indication of how bad thing are, in the last year only four pairs of hen harriers successfully reared chicks in England, fourteen peregrine falcon territories failed on grouse moors in Lancs forest of Bowland, and only one successful goshawk nest was recorded in the Derwent Valley, Derbyshire. Current legislation is not enough to deter those who break the law and destroy our heritage; the introduction of vicarious liability would hit those directing the slaughter.

Signed that a while ago Jason, I also spread the word at university. As well as writing a 3500 word report on the plight of the hen harrier. Well done for raising the issue on here :t:

Great work as always, John and crew. May look a little stark now but never fear, the real benefits will be shown in the spring with a flourishing of varied growth with the additional light let in. Will be really interesting to see how the grassland area responds; has huge potential for butterflies etc.

It will be interesting to see what grows, I imagine there would of been a fair bit of disturbance to the seed bank, and with the extra light I imagine there will some interesting growth in the next few years. Lets hope it has the desired effect and a multitude of invertebrates are attracted.

Nice one, Jase. Just signed it.

Managed to get to the reserve for an hour of so at long last. Noted on the Moors: Cormorant 28. Tufted duck 3. Shoveler 4. Curlew 11. Grey Heron 2. Sparrowhawk male. Chaffinch, Greenfinch, hen Pheasant at the feeder (Water Rail Hide)

Water Rail hide has new shutters.
Rob

From what I gather there was little sign of any activity yesterday. At this rate, I'll be surprised if it's finished this year.:C

It's utterly disgraceful, if this is how the WWT treat their premier reserve then I hate to think how they treat their others.

Oh what we would give for a competent body like the RSPB to own this reserve, it would of been up and running in under a week :C

It's utterly disgraceful, if this is how the WWT treat their premier reserve then I hate to think how they treat their others.

Oh what we would give for a competent body like the RSPB to own this reserve, it would of been up and running in under a week :C

You must be joking, Our hide at RSPB Middleton Lakes should have gone up in the spring,we are still waiting.

You must be joking, Our hide at RSPB Middleton Lakes should have gone up in the spring,we are still waiting.

I bet once it's started it won't take long though, that was my point.

In my experience with both organizations the RSPB are far more competent and savvy.

As for your hide I'm sorry to hear that

Signed that a while ago Jason, I also spread the word at university. As well as writing a 3500 word report on the plight of the hen harrier. Well done for raising the issue on here :t:

Cheers Gavo...nice work spreading the word at the Uni !

Jase

Signed the petition Jase :t:

WRT the hide , which seems to following a course of evolution rather than a recognisable construction schedule.... Project Manager ? Agreed penalties for delayed delivery..?

Signed the petition Jase :t:

WRT the hide , which seems to following a course of evolution rather than a recognisable construction schedule.... Project Manager ? Agreed penalties for delayed delivery..?

Hi Mark,

We, the volunteer wardens, have discussed such things offline and we, too, have asked similar questions regarding the naive way this contract appears to have been handled / negotiated. We are as frustrated as you are. I (and Mike) am meeting with the Trust tomorrow evening in order to find out what exactly they're doing about it.

Hi Mark,

We, the volunteer wardens, have discussed such things offline and we, too, have asked similar questions regarding the naive way this contract appears to have been handled / negotiated. We are as frustrated as you are. I (and Mike) am meeting with the Trust tomorrow evening in order to find out what exactly they're doing about it.

I'm glad to hear that Dave. It is a credit to the Wardens discretion that perhaps such questions were not voiced sooner on a public forum by the regular visitors to the reserve. As someone who is merely a trust subscriber ( allbeit PRINCE 2 qualified for my sins ;) ), I think the progress, or lack of, this venture should be questioned.

Hi Mark,

" I (and Mike) am meeting with the Trust......." I didn't know you were from the Black Country Dave?

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Teal (66)----------------------Shoveler (6)
Tufted Duck 4)--------------- Little Grebe (3)
Snipe (4)----------------------Kingfisher
Cormorant (32)---------------Herring Gull (2)
Siskin (10)--------------------Kestrel
Coot (227)--------------------Sparrowhawk (m+f) over Ed Res
Water Rail

SAILING POOL AREA:
Greylag Goose (19)

FLASHES:
Lapwing (c50)----------------Lesser Redpoll (5)

Fieldfare numbers appear to have increased significantly and outnumber Redwing eg a flock of c50 comprised mainly of Fieldfare.

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back