• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (2 Viewers)

Last week a Spooner with lime green flag was photoed in Rudong.The photographer can read some characters on the metal ring.The ringers in Russia replied:

KVA are last letters of the ‘address’ MOSKVA (=Moscow) which means that the digits 181 must be last digits of the band number (because digits are placed above the letters on a band). I just checked ringing reports for last 5 years and found that a Spoon-billed Sandpiper with band KS18181 fits well to the above description. This bird was banded as a downy chick on 13 July 2010 near Meinypilgyno, Chukotka, Russia

Excellent news! Good to know some young birds are making it to adulthood and heading north. Thanks for posting.

the Task Force Team is starting survey in Rudong now and today 500 NGreenshank in two towns and one Spooner with the lime green flag.

Zhang Lin,

Wonderful news! It's great to hear about the numbers-truly a very important site for both species.

Still waiting for a Spooner in Dalian.........

Tom

Agreed...! Great news. And reward for all the hours you guys put in....

Tom - I am sure you will see a Spooner in Dalian one day... my money is on the last week of May next Spring! :)

Just great news. Well done to all the surveyors and especially to Mcaribou. Rudong is such a monumentally important site.

Oh dear Mc, really not good news. Do you think there is a reason for this, habitat disturbance or other significant reasons?

I guess it's just because it's declining all around the world.Last winter only in early winter there were three in Minjiang.None in deep winter.

5 again this morning inside a flock of 3500 shorebirds at Fucheng. Could have been more, birds were quite distant and roosting in dense flock.
Also 2 Asian Dowitcher and 2 late Oriental Pratincole.

5 again this morning inside a flock of 3500 shorebirds at Fucheng. Could have been more, birds were quite distant and roosting in dense flock.
Also 2 Asian Dowitcher and 2 late Oriental Pratincole.

Excellent news. So pleased they're being seen.

To anyone who might see SBS this season, don't forget to look for rings and leg flags of birds which were marked in Russia this year as part of the head-starting work. You can download an information sheet from the EAAFP web-site and report any sightings.

http://www.eaaflyway.net/documents/Final SBS records factsheet_online_english.pdf

Happy birding and thanks for keeping us all informed.
Ken
:t:

a 1st Winter Spoonbilled Sandpiper was present yesterday 5th of december at Xitou, I did'nt find it again today but the hight tide was quite low today and the 2000 shorebirds were quite dispersed. it is the first autumn/winter record for this site...let´s hope it's going to wintering there as it is quite a safe place in Guangdong now.
The bird was found as a team of CCTV was doing a reportage about birds protection issues, It should help raise awareness of people about this sp situation.

a 1st Winter Spoonbilled Sandpiper was present yesterday 5th of december at Xitou, I did'nt find it again today but the hight tide was quite low today and the 2000 shorebirds were quite dispersed. it is the first autumn/winter record for this site...let´s hope it's going to wintering there as it is quite a safe place in Guangdong now.
The bird was found as a team of CCTV was doing a reportage about birds protection issues, It should help raise awareness of people about this sp situation.

Excellent news. Always especially good to hear about 1st winter birds as they are so much more elusive than the adults. Hope you see it again and it stays safe.

Happy birding
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back