• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (1 Viewer)

Please be there Saturday, please be there Saturday, please be there Saturday...

8-P

Good luck - latest reports I have for the CCtern are that the reserve now requires you to take a rowing boat (!!!) to view the terns. I hope this is not the case for the whole area. We are there from 26/5 so would appreciate any updates.

Thanks, alan

Jeff,

Everything crossed for you.

I really hope you get to see one of these superb birds. :t:

Cheers,

Paul

Yup- good luck spoonie fans for the next few weeks: should be some belting orange birds in the Yellow Sea until at least 20th May- just a question of where and if the tides are kind...

Yup- good luck spoonie fans for the next few weeks: should be some belting orange birds in the Yellow Sea until at least 20th May- just a question of where and if the tides are kind...

Do you think we have a good chance at Rudong on 16th-17th with the tides on those dates? - we'll spend 2 full days looking.

cheers, alan

Good luck to everyone trying this spring. And lets hope the birds have a good season. I'm hoping to see a summerish-plumaged adult in August... but I think a juvenile would be even more welcome.

Ken

Good luck - latest reports I have for the CCtern are that the reserve now requires you to take a rowing boat (!!!) to view the terns. I hope this is not the case for the whole area. We are there from 26/5 so would appreciate any updates.

Thanks, alan

Alan,

That is the word I received from Lin Chen (aka Forest), who is taking me and another birder there tomorrow. He said that the authorities are trying to minimize disturbance to the birds, which to be fair, is a good idea.

I'll give an update tomorrow evening after our visit.

Jeff

PS In case you're worried, you don't have to row your own boat. :-O

Let me briefly update that last post. You don't have to row your own boat, but if the tide is too low when you head out there, you may have to walk beside it - knee deep in mud. And yes, you get to walk onto the island where the birds roost. Unfortunately, the terns did not come in to roost tonight. Only a couple distant fly-bys.

Also no spooner. Consolation: Nordmann's greenshank and Chinese egret. Plus 2 other lifers and a future lifer split.

More tomorrow. It's 3 AM. I need some sleep.

Let me briefly update that last post. You don't have to row your own boat, but if the tide is too low when you head out there, you may have to walk beside it - knee deep in mud. And yes, you get to walk onto the island where the birds roost. Unfortunately, the terns did not come in to roost tonight. Only a couple distant fly-bys.

Also no spooner. Consolation: Nordmann's greenshank and Chinese egret. Plus 2 other lifers and a future lifer split.

More tomorrow. It's 3 AM. I need some sleep.

Jeff - good luck tomorrow and do put another update on if you get the chance.

Cheers, alan

Jeff - enjoyable read even though you missed the bird - best luck if you try again; we are there later this month; flying to Shanghai tomorrow.

alan

Best of luck to you, too. Forest said June is supposedly better than May for the terns. The spooners are gone until fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back