• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher ID's in NW Minnesota,USA (1 Viewer)

upnorth

Flycatchers aren't the easiest for me to ID, so I thought I'd see what you all can come up with. I'll list the dates that the pic's were taken. Thanks..
1. Sept. 05
2. Aug. 27
3. May 20
4. Aug. 08
5. July 28

Attachments

• fc01.jpg
    fc01.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 89
  • fc02.jpg
    fc02.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 84
  • E30B8836.JPG
    E30B8836.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 74
  • fly5.jpg
    fly5.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 85
  • _IN11787(1).JPG
    _IN11787(1).JPG
    268 KB · Views: 88
I suggested Willow for 1. because of the short pp (this would exclude EWP as it's pp is as long as the tertials) also lack of eye-ring. With Alder for no.2. because of the moderately longer pp, with a discernible eye-ring. ;)

Yes, but would you be confident enough to call it if it were a lifer?

For some reason, I cannot id flycatchers from photos at all, even to genus sometimes. I can separate leasts and traill's in the field with good looks, but I sometime's can't even separate pewees vs empids from photos!

As far as 'image' ID is concerned!..An opinion will invariably be, only as good as the information in the picture, and how that's interpreted by the observer and of his/her experience. Rule of thumb for me is that a considered opinion (although less exciting) should be a lot safer than 'firing from the hip'.

I'd have to see it in the flesh..so to speak! and well enough with the naked eye, to then eliminate allother potential confusion candidates, through a process of elimination, before feeling comfortable enough for it to be accepted.

cheers ;)

Agree on EWPE for 1-2. Any more photos of 1-3? I'm leaning Yellow-bellied Fly on 2--or possibly Least based on the one photo. Too petite for Traill's (Willow/Alder) I think. 1 looks strange and seems to be in a strange posture with wingbars (if there are any) covered; not even sure of the genus on that one.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back