• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tremors in hands (1 Viewer)

frfelix

I have 57 and I am presenting tremors in my hands. This are causing me problems with binoculars because the image (sharpness, shape, colors, details), basically, birds like warbles I can not fix very well. I do not if there are some tips to use with this kind of problem.

Unfortunately there are quite a number of possible causes for hand tremors and only your doctor will be able to help you properly. I'm sure it would put your mind at ease to eliminate any possible underlying medical conditions.

Some ideas you may want to consider:

--Image stabilized bins; Canon makes a number of these that many here like

--heavier bins; these may reduce the amount of vibration if the tremors are fairly minor

--lower power bins. Try 7x or even 6x if you don't have them already; higher magnification magnifies the effects of the tremors

Hope this helps,
Jim

Last edited:
Having your bins on a strap which you keep taut against your neck helps keep them steady, may help a little.

I think you can get monopods/tripods for binoculars too.

I've tried a few things myself, as I have unsteady hands (actually more than just my hands, due to the medication I'm on). For me it's using a Camera that causes me problems; even with image stabilisation I can't get images as sharp as I should.

I bought a Monopod, thinking it would help, but it didn't. The funny thing was I couldn't keep the Monopod still, so the Camera still moved. The only way to beat it is with a Tripod, IMO. Obviously you won't want to carry a Tripod everywhere, but it may be the only option. Of course, your Binoculars will need to have a Tripod mount.

There may be other things that can be done, but none that I'm aware of. Maybe others will have some better ideas.

I've tried a few things myself, as I have unsteady hands (actually more than just my hands, due to the medication I'm on). For me it's using a Camera that causes me problems; even with image stabilisation I can't get images as sharp as I should.

Just wanted to point out that reducing shake to an extent needed to see adequately through binoculars is a less demanding task than reducing shake sufficiently to ensure sharp images in photography. Even those without hand tremor problems need help with the latter (which is why image stabilization seems to be becoming standard for digital cameras). So I am not sure experiences in the photographic context will translate directly to the original poster's problem.

Best,
Jim

My late father used a monopod with his binoculars to good effect during the latter days of his life. Certainly helped him keep the bins still.

Just wanted to point out that reducing shake to an extent needed to see adequately through binoculars is a less demanding task than reducing shake sufficiently to ensure sharp images in photography. Even those without hand tremor problems need help with the latter (which is why image stabilization seems to be becoming standard for digital cameras). So I am not sure experiences in the photographic context will translate directly to the original poster's problem.

Best,
Jim

Yeah I guess, though I didn't mean at long zoom when IS is necessary, I have problems even at the wide end and with fast shutter speeds.

Also when you shake and use Binoculars for any length of time (studying rather than spotting) it gives you a headache. So I still think that a Tripod is a good idea. But I did add "Maybe others will have some better ideas." to the end of my post.

I took up DSLR photography and as a side effect found that resting my bins on my monopod helps a lot so it might be a solution. Get the longest you can find that comes up to eye level in the least.

I reach up and hold the brim of my hat tight to the bins with my two index fingers. If I weren't such a Luddite I'd go for the IS stuff.

I seem to remember a binocular rest that was a simple wooden prop being spoken of on the forum a long time ago. I think it was called a Finn stick or some thing similar. This might be a simply constructed aid that would help. Can someone throw a wee bit more light on the thing?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back