• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluetit roosting- unusual place! (1 Viewer)

Zulu Merula

Blackbird's Momma!
I noticed the other night, when the weather was actually NICE and I was sitting in the garden at dusk, a bluetit flew onto the security light that's attached to our wall. I think it roosts there, as my Dad scared it off but then it came back again later, and I didn't see it move once it went dark. It seems like a novel place to fly in to roost, however it's really effective because when you stand right next to the light, you can't even see that the bird's there- you'd have no idea if you hadn't seen it fly there! It somehow squeezes in between the bottom of the light that's the sensor and the top bit that throws out the light. You shoulda seen me trying to creep down the garden without setting the sensor off: I didn't want the light to flash on and scare the poor bird or burn it's lickle head!!

I walk down my usual street and there are Eurasian Tree Sparrows nesting inside a street light fixture. I'm never there at night, so don't know if the bulb is out or not.

The hole must be very samll, too small for Starlings to get in.

That reminds me of a programme I saw aaaaaaaages ago, all about birds nesting in unusual places. The one that I remember was a Thrushes nest in the amber bit of a traffic light! That was back when they had those protruding ledge things.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back