• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Immature Gulls (1 Viewer)

Wendy Morris

Now, most of you will recall that I don't do gulls....but as Bill advised me ages ago, "get some pictures and go from there". So I did, today at the local reservoir. There were dozens of them there, but the ones below were the only ones close enough to have their picture taken. Now, I think I'm looking at immature GBB gulls....am I right? If I am, I shall take note and continue my quest, if not.....I may well throw in the towel on immature gulls!:h?:

After about 15 minutes of watching these, the Mallard gang/Canadas etc, the object in the other picture arrived and that was the end of any more birding for the afternoon, as he spent the next 15 minutes (at least..... I gave up after that) doing rolls, loops and speedy low fly pasts. :-C If anyone can identify the type of aircraft involved, my OH would be interested. We thought that when the Harriers went from Yeovilton the other year that we might be immune to this low flying...obviously not.

Attachments

• Gull 1.jpg
    Gull 1.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Gull 3.jpg
    Gull 3.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Noisy B 2.jpg
    Noisy B 2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 34
How annoying that your birding was spoiled. No idea what kind of plane it is as I am no good at that sort of thing, but Steve might know?

Looks like immature GBB to me.. greater coverts paler then Herring or LBB, head is a good white, don't see pale wing patch of the Herring.....but, I could be wrong as H, LBB & GBB do look very similar as Juv's.
As for the aircraft, looks like a BAe Hawk?

I can't help you with the ID Wendy, but they are lovely Gull photos..well done:clap:

Pity about the aircraft though...whatever it is;)

Hi Wendy,
I looked up your Gull pics & I agree with Ray, id sounds good for me.
No idea about the plane though. lol!

Great pics Wendy

Thanks Ray, on both subjects. OH muttered something about the aircraft being what the Red Arrows used to use, so that fits doesn't it?

So my quest to identify immature gulls must go on!

Well done Wendy! Certainly looks good for GBBs to me, so are you taking it up seriously now?

Regarding No 3/ Surely it's a Harrier;) ;) Bill will probably know if anyone does. I'll bet a bob they're practising for Yeovilton in June!

Well done indeed with your ID Wendy! Keep a watchful eye upwards for that Kite!!!

Sue.

Regarding No 3/ Surely it's a Harrier;) ;)

Sue.

In Birding terms should it go like this...LOL

I know they are both BAe species but would the larger Harrier not appear much bulkier and shorter winged?. The supercillium also looks all wrong for a Harrier. Also if you look at the head shape it doesn't have that bulky neck caused by the air-intakes...
The rear also doesn't dislplay the classic down sloped wing pattern of the harrier. I can't see leg colour but I'd go with BAe's Hawk on this one :D

In Birding terms should it go like this...LOL

I know they are both BAe species but would the larger Harrier not appear much bulkier and shorter winged?. The supercillium also looks all wrong for a Harrier. Also if you look at the head shape it doesn't have that bulky neck caused by the air-intakes...
The rear also doesn't dislplay the classic down sloped wing pattern of the harrier. I can't see leg colour but I'd go with BAe's Hawk on this one :D

No, no, no Ray,

I meant MARSH Harrier! You must have turned the other way just as it did a beautiful roll, followed by a back-flip earlier on.

Atually, the wing shape could even denote a Starling or Skylark! I still reckon our Bill would know best!

Sue (mad as you!)

No, no, no Ray,

I meant MARSH Harrier! You must have turned the other way just as it did a beautiful roll, followed by a back-flip earlier on.

Atually, the wing shape could even denote a Starling or Skylark! I still reckon our Bill would know best!

Sue (mad as you!)

Naw, doesn't display the black wing tips,,defo a Hawk species 8-P.
over to you Bill! Please?

Ray (Honorary Burco Boy at the Mad Hatters Tea Party)

Thanks for the chuckle Sue and Ray...even OH thought it was funny!

Where is Bill when you need him?!

We are trying to be serious here, appreciate some support in resolving this difficult question, no chuckling at the back..:D :smoke:

Exactly my thoughts Wendy, where is Bill?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back