• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digibinning (1 Viewer)

Dave Smith

United Kingdom
Has any one tried taking digital photos through binoculars ?
When on holiday I have tried but have suffered from too much camera shake. I was wondering whether any of the digiscope adapters would fit on a binocular (or do I mean monocular?). If one did fit would handheld be steady enough? I am thinking about when I'm on holiday without the scope.

Attached is a photo I took on holiday last year through binoculars. I regret it not being clear. This could be another puzzle. What is the bird and what location?

Attachments

• digibin.jpg
    digibin.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 468
I've experimented with my Leica 8x32's. It's better than nothing but not too good either. It may be better with 10x or 12x even.

I started digibinning about 4 years ago..... I spent ages trying to get a half-decent photo before realising that I had a big kowa scope to do the job far better (I still can't work out why I missed the obvious for so long!)
I have tried with an adapter on my Swaro' EL's but it's a bit wobbly as the area around the bino eyepiece is non-linear.... so a fair bit of vignetting.
I've often wondered about the Swaro' 2x bino booster, as an adapter should fit to this o.k. but would put a bit of strain on the device if not held correctly.
Andy

I've done it hand held with mediocre results. But be careful if you try it hand held! I scratched the lens on my camera because the it touched the bino eyepiece. Didn't realize it until it was too late. :( But I guess that was OK, because it gave me an excuse to upgrade my camera! :)
Alicia

Dave,
Take a look in the 'Binoculars and other Equipment' forum with a thread entitled 'Digibinning/Digibinoing' Here I have described a way of holding the binnies and the camera steady without tripod etc.

Colin

Thanks all for your replies.

I've had a look at the post you mentioned Colin. Your method may be useful under very particular circumstances and I will give it a try. I really would like something more stable.

The problem of a tapered eyepiece you had Andy may well apply to mine as well. I have Opticron 8 x 42 BGA bins.

I am hoping to go to the Bird Fair at Fishers Green, Lea Valley at the end of next week. Maybe someone will be selling adapters that I can try out.

BTW does anyone want to know the name of my digibin bird?
The location is a bit of a cheat as that bird is an exotic there.
When there I did take a photo of a very rare and endemic bird, the pink pigeon, without aid of scope or bins. I will post it to the gallery in the near future. That should certainly give the location away.

We do. They were introduced in the nineteenth century, and there are a few small populations in Melbourne, and in urban areas along the eastern seaboard. There are a few pairs in a reserve about 2km from my place.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back