• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Transfer pics from pc to portable hard disk (1 Viewer)

eddy the eagle

Can anyone help me.I have an HP laptop running Windows 7 and have 1000's of photos stored.I have bought a 500 GB portable hard drive but as a computer illiterate OAP I do not know how to transfer my picture files to the hard disk and free up space on my laptop.Is there anyone out there that can help me please,I would be eternally grateful.Thank you and kind regards ...Eddy

Hi Eddy

I've set up duplicate folders on my external hard drive and simply copy and paste into the relevant folder. My Bird Folder for example has a couple of thousand photos which I back up to the same named Folder on my external drive every month or 2 depending on how many new photos I've added. However, when I do the back up I always save it under a different name so that I always have an uncorrupted back up available to fall back on. This process takes around 7/8 minutes to complete but that will depend on your computer's processor and whatever else you're running at the time.

Shane

Eddy,
I think you want to free up space on your main drive on the laptop. I think the process should be copy first, check that the copies are good, and only later delete the originals. I prefer to have two external HDs, one of which is stored away from my house, so that I am not down to one copy of the images.

Niels

Thank you all for your imput,I've cracked it,accidently I must add.I was trying to copy to hard disk but this did not work and I accidently clicked on "send to" and there was the disk.I've been up early transferring my photos.Kind regards ...Eddy

Hi Eddy

That's one way. Now remember to do what Niels said and check the pictures have all arrived safely, then delete them from your laptop. Then check your pictures are still available on your new external drive (I've an itchy feeling it may have only sent a short cut link there - which it seems to do when I "send to" my Desktop??? Anyone??)

Having done that, remember to empty your recycle bin or they'll still be using some space on your laptop.

Hi again Eddy

Do you have a large yellow icon beside your Start button (hover over it and it says Windows Explorer).

If you click on that it will show all the drives (including your external hard drive - which will be given a letter, as well as being named).

I simply click on the location where my pictures are, which is Pictures Library, select the folder to transfer>right click and select copy; click on the new destination>right click and select paste. Wait while the transfer takes place; check the pictures are all in place OK then go back to the Pictures Library and delete that folder.

Eddie
how are you images stored on your PC - are they stored within Lightroom or any similar post processing application or database management system.
Have you made any adjustments to your original images that are stored in separate files?
If any of the above it gets more complicated.

as I said I am computer illeterate,but I have all my pictures on the external hard drive and I have gone through carefully and I have deleted all from laptop with the exception of My pictures which needs administrative approval by me but I don't know how I give such approval?....Eddy

as I said I am computer illeterate,but I have all my pictures on the external hard drive and I have gone through carefully and I have deleted all from laptop

Hard discs can fail - if you have deleted from laptop, it is recommended you keep another copy of images you truly value (an old laptop, a second hard drive, etc)

as I said I am computer illeterate,but I have all my pictures on the external hard drive and I have gone through carefully and I have deleted all from laptop with the exception of My pictures which needs administrative approval by me but I don't know how I give such approval?....Eddy

It is my impression that Windows is not happy if you delete that folder. you can open the folder and delete the content that is stored inside that folder.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back