• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Video Clips / Movies (1 Viewer)

Steve Arlow

United Kingdom
recently I've tried to create a single long running 'movie' of a birding trip which runs to little over an hour at AVCHD / HD quality. This is around 8GB.

I am using the software than came with camcorder, Panasonics HD Writer AE 3.0 and whilst I can create the 'movie' in the software its the actual output that is proving the problem.

Firstly the full HD video hangs when it reaches a certain percentage downloaded, always the same position so I have converted the files to AVCHD, making it smaller and lesser quality than the original (obviously not the reason why I got the camcorder in the first place). It still doesn't work.

Lots of searching on the internet and found that any drive / Flash Drive that is FAT32 formatted can only download files 4gb or less.

With that in mind I then got a 16gb flash drive and reformatted it from FAT32 to the largely recommended NTFS format. The AVCHD file downloaded but not as one long movie as it got split in two are roughly 4gb sections.

I have checked the flash drive and the hard disc and all are NTFS so now at a real loss as to why again / still only working at 4gb clips.

I can't seem to find the solution on the various forums, all pointing me the same route as already gone down.

Apart from the Software being pants what else could it be?

I don't really get what you have done/are trying to do?

My way of working would be to have shot the video as lots of clips of various lengths then copy those off the camera onto the computer. Then edit it on the computer into a finished product. Then upload it to the web or burn it to disc depending on intended use.

Is this what you did? As I don't where the memory stick comes in?

I have downloaded all the individual clips from the camcorder onto the PC for editing. These have been stitched together into an hour long clip / trip movie via the video editing software. When trying to Output the end product (the hour long video) onto the Hard Drive it splits it into shorter segments of around 30mins each, approximately 4gb each.

I have tried this to a flash drive as well after formatting to NTFS, as this format is meant to take larger files than Fat32 formatted drives which are limited to max of 4gb.

So after formatting drives and flash drives etc to NTFS, giving it the capacity of a 1TB per file, the video file still gets split automatically.

It may be the software, it may be the PC I just don't know

The 4Gb is one imposed by Panasonic, so as to make the files compatible with FAT32. It will chunk up the AVCHD files into 4Gb, without the option to turn it off!

It seems many other folk have had this problem one solution I have seen is to output the chunked files and then join them up using this freeware program http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR

Many thanks. I've tried this freeware and cant locate my video clips to stitch together but unfortunately it wont locate my file type which is AVCHD.

I guess I will have to look at alternative video editing software that doesn't split the files into segments

kind regards

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back