• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

painted lady!! (1 Viewer)

sparrowbirder

Its been a fine day were I live in NW england like a spring day! still couldnt believe it when I saw a painted lady fly past when I was driving in my car,this is certainly my earliest one ever,although ive there has been a few down south already, roll on the spring!!

Hi Sparrowbirder

How far north are you? There have certainly been good numbers here in the South. Saturday 7 February seemed to be a particularly good day. I saw four on that date at my small local patch on the outskirts of Brighton in Sussex.

It's been too cold down here for any butterflies. I just checked the temp outside (or at least at Gatwick)
Gatwick thermometers and other gadgets said:
Temperature 37 °F / 3 °C
Windchill 28 °F / -2 °C
Humidity 70%
Dew Point 28 °F / -2 °C
Wind NE at 14 mph / 22.5 km/h
Wind Gust -
Pressure 30.24 in / 1024 hPa (Steady)
Conditions Mostly Cloudy
Visibility -
Clouds
(Above Ground Level) Scattered Clouds (SCT) : 2600 ft / 794 m
Mostly Cloudy (BKN) : 3500 ft / 1068 m

Brrrrrrrrrrr!!

I was similarly amazed to see one outside my office a week or so ago. I gathered from Rare Bird Alert that quite a number had arrived along the south coast together with the House Martins and Swallows a few days previously.

Jason

We saw a couple of Painted Ladies and a few Tortoiseshells in the sunshine last week.
Who's going to see the first Humming Bird Hawkmoth of the year?....
March 9 is my earliest sighting.

Hi Gerry,

I'm pretty sure some Hummingbird Hawkmoths have already been seen in the south of England in 2004 (maybe in the Scillies?).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back