• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Queensland, August: hawk, flycatcher, nightjar and unknown (1 Viewer)

Ciao,

I need some help with few birds met during my recent trip in north Queensland, (what a great place!!!!!!)
Pics1-3: Flat creek near Georgetown (dam in savannah habitat) 17/08, in the field I thought sparrowhawk (much less common than brown goshawk there)...but maybe not the same criteria than european birds apply there. Looking at the pics I ve doubts.

Pics 4-5: Flat creek near Georgetown (dam in savannah habitat) 17/08. I would say lemon bellied flycatcher, but the other I found were less yellow, I d like a confirmation

thanks, have fun!!

PS= I don t want to loose any occasion to thank our fellow member and moderator chowchilla for the help given on the field during 2 very productive morning of birdwatching!! Thanks and best greetings

Attachments

• hawk1.jpg
    hawk1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 38
  • hawk2.jpg
    hawk2.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 34
  • hawk3.jpg
    hawk3.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 40
  • lbflycatcher.jpg
    lbflycatcher.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 33
  • lbflycatcher1.jpg
    lbflycatcher1.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 32
White-throated Gerygone for 2nd bird
1st...hmmmmm never easy these two, but it looks quite bulky so I'd go Gos ;)

Second round:

Pic 1: Flat creek near Georgetown (dam in savannah habitat) 17/08: I saw it flying and called spotted nightjar because of the white marking, I was wondering whether someone can point out some features to tell it apart from the other 2 possible ssp when the bird is perched...the guides lack of clarity...

pic2: nandroya falls, wooroondoran nation park (medium altitude tropical forest) DUNNO! (poor picture and very brief view, flycatcher/robin behavior me think)

Thanks again for any help
ciao a tutti and have fun

Pietro

Attachments

• spotted_nightjar.jpg
    spotted_nightjar.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 34
  • boh.jpg
    boh.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 35
White-throated Gerygone for 2nd bird
1st...hmmmmm never easy these two, but it looks quite bulky so I'd go Gos ;)

wow, quite different from the other Gerygones!! But now that I think of it again especially posture and behaviour were quite different from the lemon bellied flycatcher found elsewhere (near Julatten I had the best view of it), and the yellow is really very pronounced.

I m also leaning toward Goshawk....but I wish I saw some clear sparrowhawk to be able to appreciate the differences!

thanks a lot.

Pietro

1st pic of the raptor suggests looks more like a Harrier to me, Swamp Harrier....?

Spotted for the Nightjar and Flyeater?

Andy

Last edited:
last bird looks like a whistler to me, though hard to make out what's going on with it's face. Could it be Grey whistler at that site?
Agree with Ads on the raptor being an accipiter, but wouldn't want to call the species! Think Andy's got the nightjar. I'll run with Ads on the gerygone, as I think Fairy's a coastal/wet forest bird bird (?)

Last edited:
Collared Sparrowhawk due to the squared tail, White-throated Gerygone (quite common out there), then looks like Spotted Nightjar- there seem to be a few around this year- and then I'd opt for Grey Whistler

last bird looks like a whistler to me, though hard to make out what's going on with it's face. Could it be Grey whistler at that site?

Yes, the site was good for grey, but I didn t have one there.

Regarding the Nightjar, I saw it flying before it perched so I am convinced is a spotted I was just wondering whether there is any way to tell them apart when they are perched. The guides are not good with perched Nightjars.

I agree for the garygone, once pointed out is easy, I didn t think of it because of my little experience at that time (first day in the savannah) and because I was used to see garygone as extremely small bird quite "goldcrest like" whereas these guys are slighlty larger and more "large willow wabler like". :)

Thanks a lot to all of you for your comments, much appreciated!!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back