• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador Hawks Aug 2015 (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
This first post is about a hawk that was seen for a short time at Angel Paz's place NE of Mindo (somewhere between 2000 and 2500 m asl). I am attaching the three photos I got, but they were less than 1/2 second apart and shows much the same view. Immediately before, the hawk was turned the other way, and from my memory, it showed a whitish throat. My best guess is a Hook-billed Kite, even though one person there called it out as a very different species.

So what do you think?

Niels

Attachments

• Hawk 1-P1190008.JPG
    Hawk 1-P1190008.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Hawk 1-P1190009.JPG
    Hawk 1-P1190009.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Hawk 1-P1190010.JPG
    Hawk 1-P1190010.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 51
Hawk #2: this was seen from the trails at Yellow House in Mindo, 1200 - 1400 m asl. It was a long way off, and we discovered it due to its incessant calling, a sound that reminded me of buteos such as Red-tailed Hawk or Common Buzzard. I saw nothing in the binocs that cannot be seen in the photos, actually less. I have chosen some - if I see more I will add later. The included are 100% crops.

Niels

Attachments

• Hawk 2-P1190230.JPG
    Hawk 2-P1190230.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Hawk 2-P1190232.jpg
    Hawk 2-P1190232.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Hawk 2-P1190235.JPG
    Hawk 2-P1190235.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 49
Hawk 3 (no photos) from Sachatamia lodge (about 1900 m asl): this was a bird that flew in just under the canopy of a tree I was standing under. It had white underside with sparse barring along the flanks, darker greyish upperside, white throat but no collar, and yellow cere. I did not notice any details of tail or thighs.

I heard a short, strong, single tone whistle at the same time this bird was around, but did not see it open its mouth.

Looking in the Fieldbook, it was very similar to Plumbeous forest falcon which, however, has a vermilion cere and should be at lower elevation. One possible contender could be plain-breasted hawk if that one has an intermediate age where the juvenile barring could be reduced to only show up at the flanks and be sparse even there. Any good ideas?

thanks
Niels

Larry, I am not sure. I had the false impression that the sound would be very different, but Xenocanto just taught me something else. However, is the tail OK? I would expect more and narrower tail bands on a roadside.

Niels

One more photo of hawk 2, this photo lightened considerably. Does that change anything? Does not look like the roadside in the fieldbook.

Niels

Attachments

• Hawk 2-P1190238.JPG
    Hawk 2-P1190238.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 41
I would agree with Hook-billed Kite for the first bird. Too much rufous in the head area, and the rufous barring too thick, for Roadside Hawk.

I would agree with Larry on Roadside Hawk for the second bird. I don't know what the depiction is like in the Fieldbook, but the plumage is somewhat variable, and everything looks fine to me.

Jim, does that variation also include the last image where there is a clear white collar going up on the lower side of the head? This is not a one photo artefact, there is another 5 or so photos that show this (on both sides of the bird).

Niels

The second bird looks fine for Roadside Hawk to em as well. The spread wing shot shows the diagnostic rufous bases to the primaries.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back