• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eleonora's falcon (1 Viewer)

Mallorca

Is Vis 'the' place to see Eleonora's falcon in Croatia or are there other good areas?

We have seen the falcons on each visit to the north-eastern corner of Mallorca.
We went to the Lighthouse at Formentor, and the falcons were flying gracefully above.
The Cuba Dam at the north-western end of the island is where we saw Black Vultures. Blue Rock Thrushes can also be seen at certain times of the year, and if you're mobile, the Albfera Reserve is a good place for all kinds of birds: herons, egrets, marsh harriers etc.

We are going to Mallorca soon, but to the south-west this time. Interesting to see what we find there..........................

I'm not sure whether you were just asking about Croatia but 80-85% of the world's population of breeding Eleonora's falcons are found in Greece!
They're around until October and occasionally overwinter.
I was lucky enough to see one this morning! ;)
They're fantastic birds.

Read more at:
http://www.athensnews.gr/athweb/nathens.print_unique?e=C&f=13298&m=A08&aa=1&eidos=S

Hils

Thinking of next summer. Desperately need to earn brownie points by doing a good not too bird dominated family holiday. Both my wife and I fancy Croatia.

Wife fancies Croatia, trust me I need to earn those brownie points! Also it'll be the first time in 22 years together that she has ever chosen where we go and where the trip hasn't been been very bird orientated and it'll probably be the last. She's also put up with lots of solo trips. So back to Eleonoras in Croatia.

I guess you have to get your brownie points, but if you don't get any Eleonora's in Croatia, try Greece next time. I saw many in Tilos and Naxos. The family can have great days on the beach and the tavernas are cheap and good. Another point: The Greeks tied with the Fijians for friendliest people in the world (so far) on the Peregrinometer.;)
Sue ( Sailing Vessel Peregrine)

Last edited:
I absolutely agree! Greece is the friendliest place...
Where else can you spend a night eating and drinking, having forgotten your wallet, with all the locals paying for you instead!?
Not to mention the daily gifts of fruit and veg the neighbours give you without expecting anything in return.
Simply the best! ;)
Hils

Thinking of next summer. Desperately need to earn brownie points by doing a good not too bird dominated family holiday. Both my wife and I fancy Croatia.

Hi Steve

I've just come back from a not-too-bird-dominated family holiday in Croatia (1st to 11th September) between Dubrovnik and Plitvice NP. I wrote a short entry recently on the BirdingInSpain.com blog. I wasn't really impressed by the casual birding (compared to Spain) but then perhaps I didn't go to the best places at the best time of year. Didn't see any Eleonora's Falcons either!
Visited Krka NP and Plitvice, both very nice (great for water-loving kids at Krka because they can swim near the waterfalls), but get the wallet ready as you have to pay to do just about anything.
Frankly, having visited both Mallorca and Croatia this year, Mallorca comes out tops for both casual birding during a family holiday and for seeing Eleonora's Falcons.

Steve
http://www.BirdingInSpain.com

Have now had change of plan. Managed to persuade her that if she fancies eastern europe then bulgaria might be a good place. No eleonoras but about 4 lifers for me, which is probably as many or more than any other european country.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back