• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 450D (1 Viewer)

Sorry Vincent I meant the Canon lens over the Sigma 170-500, I read a couple of threads in the past 100-400L vs 400 L and the people were saying there is little if anything between them.

Hey everyone!

First post here and looking forward to getting involved!

I'm in a similar situation as Joseph and was also wondering about the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM; @Mike: you said you'd recommend that over the 400mm L for more keepers.... could you or anyone with experience on these lenses elaborate on the differences between zoom- and prime- lens in this comparison? From what I've read so far the 400m is sharper than the 100-400?

Thanks a lot in advance, and good luck searching Joseph :)

Best birding-wishes,

Vincent

If you strictly want it for birds then go for the 400mm f5.6 but if you want to shoot butterfly's/dragonfly's etc as well, than go for the 100-400mm, not much difference in sharpness, 400mm 5.6 wins by a tad

Yep, I think Terry's summed it up well. If you are pretty well exclusively shooting birds and particularly flight shots go for the prime. The lighter weight and faster af will be of benefit.
If you want a lens for a mixture of birding and other photographic trips out the zoom will give you flexilbility and will still produce perfectly acceptable images

The viewfinder of the 40D is brighter than the 450D. Also it is possible to change the optical screen to one with a grid (not possible to do this with 450D). All my seascapes now have level horizons, and my verticals are vertical.

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the quick answers!

having read more and more on the 40D I am tending towards getting one now instead of the 450D....only last concern is the resolution of 10MP instead of 12 for the 450D...especially while I am considering to first go for a low-budget lens like the Sigma 70-300 APO DG MACRO, which would make the cropping more important I guess as my range is not too high below 400mm lenses (what do you think about this Sigma? which other lens would you recommend in the range of 150-250 Euro?)

thanks a lot in advance,

Vincent

I watch camera prices here:
http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/index.html
The 40D is old hat now, so not listed, but I'd still recommend it.

Have a look at the Sigma 150-500 OS as an option for a lens. This plus the 40D "body-only" will be maybe £1300-ish and not a bad option for birds.

Sigma generally have pretty ok lenses. Since you're starting out, maybe you don't want the biggest, heaviest piece of glass, so have a look for the Canon 70-300mm IS USM, or maybe the Sigma 18-200mm DC OS HSM. The latter doesn't have long range for birds, but it is a good general purpose lens and since it sounds like you only plan to get one lens initially might be quite useful to you.

I know you're on a budget but I will say that you will soon appreciate that a fast lens (one with a low f-number) really makes a difference. Unfortunately the price goes up as the f-number goes down, but it is something to aspire to.

Happy shopping! Let us know what you get eventually.

Hi

I have a canon 450D with a canon 400 mm F 5,6 prime lens ,very happy with it for birding.

I would NOT recommend to the sigma lens the OP suggested,I had a sigma 120-400 on this body,and I felt that it was a very poor lens for birding.The difference between the canon and sigma,was like that between night and day.

hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back