• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whats the best second lens to have? (1 Viewer)

seggs

Alrite!
Upgraded lately from the 350d to a 40d which ive used with the 400mm 5.6 for a few years now with pleasing results.
Now the better half has picked up the old camera and is asking about a better lens to put on the 350d, for Butterfly shots etc. and the odd close bird. She is using my 28-90mm which i bought as a general use lens at the moment.
Obviously the cheaper the better...so which medium range lens is good value for money.?

Last edited:
Canon 70-300mm IS USM? You probably don't want to go less than 300mm for birds - even close ones.

The lens also does a reasonable job at macro, although the close-focus distance is about 1.5m. Maybe a macro filter on the front could help in that dept?

If you're shopping new, you might check prices here:
http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/
Also MPB seem to be reasonable for 2nd hand stuff.

Not sure how much they are over seas, but if I wanted a semi-beat around lens with a bird friendly 400mm, and a butterfly/dragonfly friendly 1:5 close-up ratio, with zoom flexibility, I'd look at the Tokina ATX-840. It's an awesome and highly underrated lens. Very sharp. $499USD at places like B&H and Adorama. It's also the smallest 400mm 5.6 lens I know of.

Not sure how much they are over seas, but if I wanted a semi-beat around lens with a bird friendly 400mm, and a butterfly/dragonfly friendly 1:5 close-up ratio, with zoom flexibility, I'd look at the Tokina ATX-840. It's an awesome and highly underrated lens. Very sharp. $499USD at places like B&H and Adorama. It's also the smallest 400mm 5.6 lens I know of.

This is the lens I have on my 450D as it was the one I could afford at the time, and I still don't have funds for a Canon lens. It's a cracking lens for the money but at times I find it a bit frustrating but that's probably down to user error rather than the lens. All my photos that I've put up on Flickr were taken using this lens.

Richard

If you already have the 400/5.6 and are looking for a good lens for butterflies etc. go for a good macro lens! I have the EF 100/2.8 USM and it's a cracking lens. But have a good look at Sigma's alternatives especially the 150/2.8.

Thomas

The Canon 70-300mm IS at £389 or if you can afford a bit more a Sigma 180mm Macro at £478 if its more for Dragonflies and Butterflies go for the Sigma much better glass than the Canon. Of cause you can buy these lens at a better price secondhand on ebay or here in the For Sale section.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back