• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

oban sea eagle (1 Viewer)

69minsmere69

Hi guys, I'm going to Oban area around the March 4th 2018, whats the best viewing point to se a White Tailed Sea Eagle ? and what else might I see while i'm there, I'm a novice bird watcher on my first 'Scottish Trip', distance within reason around the Pitlochry area, day trip planned to Oban, and loch garten.. Your help please !!

No idea of where best to see WTE around Oban, but Black Guillemot is likely around the harbour at Oban. White Tailed Eagle is possible around the Eden estuary in Fife, either from St Andrews West Sands (at Out Head) or the Eden estuary centre at Guardbridge, (probably around 90mins by road via Dundee from Pitlochry, though I'm not sure exactly how likely sightings would be in March), but if you are driving up anyway, then it might be worth a wee detour if you have time.

Hi 69minsmere69 and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

If you're coming up to Pitlochry towards the end of March, you should be able to see Ospreys not too far away at Loch of the Lowes, you'll get good views of them there. There's also an excellent feeding station outside the visitor centre, where you'll get good views of a variety of woodland birds, and Red Squirrels.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

The Ardnamurchan Peninsula north of Oban is good for both Eagles.
Alternatively, take a day trip from Oban to Mull, either driving round yourself or going on one of the many guided tours (see Mullbirds website for details)

You might find my book Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands useful. PM me if you would like to see a sample chapter, user reviews and details of a special offer. No obligation whatsoever.

HTH

Gordon Hamlett

Hi mm and welcome to BirdForum. I agree with Gordon's suggestion of going to Mull. I can also thoroughly recommend his book. I was reading the chapter on Ardnamurchan on Friday night in preparation for next year's trip.

Rich

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back