• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen-Ray ZEN: another ED open bridge binoculars (1 Viewer)

Pics and specs from Zen-Ray site.

http://www.zen-ray.com/zen.shtml

Their ZRS, with a FOV tweak, looks like a Vortex Viper clone.

ZRS is interesting. 10x42 has 60 degree AFOV, whereas 8x42 is slightly narrower (58ish). It seems they might have put a field stop on 8x42 to maintain its edge resolution. The spec also says 5 piece EP and 3 piece objective lens (a semi-APO triplet design?). Adding the focuser lenses, we are talking about 9-10 glasses. If quality checks out good, it will be an awesome deal for under $200 (they are running a promotion with a $35 coupon ("ZRS")). I might just get one of those.

I kind of had a feeling you were going to say no. I do not really feel the need to purchase another set yet either. If something significantly different, physically, comes out then I might consider it.

The Orion ULX ED (RIP ;) ) in 10x was an option as I'd like to try out a decent 10x ED at rather lower price. But that doesn't seem like an option now.

I somehow had it in my head that Zen Ray was a Chinese company operating in the US. There was a bit of discussion about this on another forum, so I just emailed them and asked. Here is their reply. From their site they appear to be more birding oriented.

FWIW, part of the curiosity they refer to is that I asked them about their name. They did not adress that.

Steve,

Thanks for your inquiry. No, I can totally understand your curiosity.

Our company is an American company based in Oregon that does not have any affiliation with Chinese industry. Like several other companies you named, we source our products from the OEM factories in China and a few other countries per our spec. We only chose the products that offer the best quality/price ratio. We also are active sponsor that support several local hunting communities in the Northwest US.

By a couple of Chinese guys I was thinking more along the lines of "new immigrants to the US". The English on the web site has some interesting quirks that suggest a non-native speaker ;)

Nothing wrong with that being one myself (well not new, but an immigrant).

great. thanks for the link. It's so attempting after reading those good reviews on the Promaster/Haweke duo. It is a good price. Everywhere else I checked is about $100 more.

By a couple of Chinese guys I was thinking more along the lines of "new immigrants to the US". The English on the web site has some interesting quirks that suggest a non-native speaker ;)

Nothing wrong with that being one myself (well not new, but an immigrant).

Has your English improved?;);)
Bob

Frank, I think that was a bit of Promaster info that came up in this conversation - Mike's Camera is selling the Promaster for that. On the Hawke site they say $479 and any Texas dealer that I have called is higher than that - the the $500's.

Laura,

If I remember correctly there was a slight price increase ($50) right after I purchased mine. Still for under $500 they are an excellent performer optically and have very good ergonomics for my hands.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether the ZEN's will go up or down in price in the near future?

I'm thinking of these, but would hate to pay much more for them than the current price

Thanks

I'm thinking of these, but would hate to pay much more for them than the current price

Thanks

I like a bargain as much as the next user. But the plain truth is that this class of binocular would have raised no hackles anywhere if it were released at $600. That would be a price I would not have questioned considering the view. There is already a $90.00 discount in place when ordering from Zen Ray online. So where it stands right now, you get a $1,000+++ view at about $350. I would think that online discount may have a relatively short shelf life and would use while I could. They may get more expensive, but I'd bet they don't get cheaper.

I like a bargain as much as the next user. But the plain truth is that this class of binocular would have raised no hackles anywhere if it were released at $600. That would be a price I would not have questioned considering the view. There is already a $90.00 discount in place when ordering from Zen Ray online. So where it stands right now, you get a $1,000+++ view at about $350. I would think that online discount may have a relatively short shelf life and would use while I could. They may get more expensive, but I'd bet they don't get cheaper.

I hear you , plus they offer free shipping until tomorrow.

It's just so hard for a newbie to get educated in such a short timeframe.

Thanks

We aren't pointing you in the wrong direction. ;)

...plus Zen Ray has a 30 day refund policy if I am not mistaken.

I seriously doubt there is one. I don't know if they will ship overseas either. I think your option is to send an e-mail and ask.

according to their website, they do send orders outside US.

Shipping Information

We ship our fine optics products to US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and European Union member countries Addresses Only using Fedex or USPS Priority Mail. The shipping charge is automatically calculated during the checkout based on the weight of the product and the shipping address.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back