• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bialowieza and Biebrza - need a guide ? (1 Viewer)

tbcash80

Dear all

Would be very interested on anyone's thoughts on whether a guide is needed in either or both of these place.

Or do the available books and reports have sufficient precision to give us as much chance of seeing the main sp as would having a guide ?

Any recommendations/contact details for guides in the area in May appreciated ?

Many thanks to all in advance.

TBC

Biebrza has limited number of watchpoints and you should do fine without a guide.

In Bialowieza (according to the information several years old) you needed a guide to enter the strict reserve (more for sightseeing value). Also, bison, small owls and two woodpeckers usually are a problem, so a guide who is specialized in birds may be better. Unless you are patient in forest birding. When you look around, you should find few names.

best and enjoy,

If you mean the Site Guides by WildPoland.com they are indeed precise enough to see the main species if you're an experienced birder. They have extremely detailed maps and descriptions. Nothing else is even close to the quality of information in these books.

I am the author of the mentioned Site Guides and have been a birding guide here for quite a time now..

The problem can be, as Jurek says, birds that change territories from year to year like Woodpeckers and small Owls but with enough time and proper timing (April) all can be seen on your own.

You see, we (local guides) locate all the territories in March/April and take our groups there in May and June. Otherwise, locating these birds late in the breeding season is difficult.

Good luck!

Last edited:
If you mean the Site Guides by WildPoland.com they are indeed precise enough to see the main species if you're an experienced birder. They have extremely detailed maps and descriptions. Nothing else is even close to the quality of information in these books.

I am the author of the mentioned Site Guides and have been a birding guide here for quite a time now..

The problem can be, as Jurek says, birds that change territories from year to year like Woodpeckers and small Owls but with enough time and proper timing (April) all can be seen on your own.

You see, we (local guides) locate all the territories in March/April and take our groups there in May and June. Otherwise, locating these birds late in the breeding season is difficult.

Good luck!

I,m coming over in early May next year.(2013) for a week birding on my own and am keen to spend a day at Bialowieza Reserve.
Would I need to look for a guide in advance or would it be possible to either join a group or hire a guide at short notice ?
any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Joining a group or hiring a guide on the spot at a short notice is fine. At worst you would get a guide for the next day.
If you wanted an expert in a particular field of forest sciences, however, you'd better hire one in advance of a few weeks or even months. That is if you'd rather explore the forest with an experienced botanist or ornithologist instead of just popping in for a usual 3 hours round-trip.

Hope this makes sense..
Good birding!
Luke

I,m coming over in early May next year.(2013) for a week birding on my own and am keen to spend a day at Bialowieza Reserve.
Would I need to look for a guide in advance or would it be possible to either join a group or hire a guide at short notice ?
any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi Luke, am intending to spend most of the time birding the Marshes....am hoping to have a day in the forest reserve. Not really looking for a huge list there but Hazel hen & especially Black Woodpecker would be fine . Both birds I would love to see.

Black Woodpecker is a fairly common species here. I wouldn't count on Hazel Grouse in the Reserve since they live in dense spruce/mixed coniferous forest and the Reserve is mostly broadleaved and quite open. You would have to have a long trip there into the N part of the reserve - the more coniferous stands. It is a very nice walk and highly recommended but It would still be easier to see Hazelhen outside the NP - in the commercial forest. And there are also many Black Woodpeckers there.

Hi Luke, am intending to spend most of the time birding the Marshes....am hoping to have a day in the forest reserve. Not really looking for a huge list there but Hazel hen & especially Black Woodpecker would be fine . Both birds I would love to see.

Black Woodpecker is a fairly common species here. I wouldn't count on Hazel Grouse in the Reserve since they live in dense spruce/mixed coniferous forest and the Reserve is mostly broadleaved and quite open. You would have to have a long trip there into the N part of the reserve - the more coniferous stands. It is a very nice walk and highly recommended but It would still be easier to see Hazelhen outside the NP - in the commercial forest. And there are also many Black Woodpeckers there.

Are there directions or locations to find these birds in your Guide books ?
I am going to get the one on Biebrza Marshes as well as a detailed map of the region as I will have a hired car for the week I am there.
At the moment it looks likely I will be coming over in the middle of May, will that be a good time for Aquatic Warbler ?
If I see that , Black Stork ,Black Woodpecker and Hazel Hen I would be happy. Rollers and Bee-eaters would be a real bonus.

I am going to get the one on Biebrza Marshes as well as a detailed map of the region as I will have a hired car for the week I am there.
At the moment it looks likely I will be coming over in the middle of May, will that be a good time for Aquatic Warbler ?
If I see that , Black Stork ,Black Woodpecker and Hazel Hen I would be happy. Rollers and Bee-eaters would be a real bonus.

Dear Gus,

I can vouch for Lukas' books and guiding services. I spent 2 days in Bialoweiza and 3 days at Biebrza in mid-May last year. We used both books which are very detailed and entertaining, and and available as pdf so you can carry them on your smart-phone. Of course they are recent as well (the Bialoweiza one was completed last year and the Biebrza one 2008) which means the gen in mostly spot on. In terms of layout and quality of information they are by some margin the best "where to watch birds in..." books I have used.

We also booked a guide (Arek Szmyura) through Lukas to help find woodpeckers and other sp. in the forest. This was invaluable -- there's no way we would have found Pygmy Owl, Three-toed or White-backed Woodpecker, or Red-breasted Flycatcher without him in the time we had available, and he also helped us find Hazel Hen and Grey-headed Woodpecker. Furthermore you are not even allowed into the Strict Reserve without a licensed guide. Though the only bird we had there and not elsewhere was Three-toed Woodpecker, I would still recommend making the effort, partly because it is an amazing experience to be in such a beautiful, undisturbed forest, but also to support local eco-tourism.

We saw Aquatic Warbler on 15th May at the well-known site Dluga Luka, so your timing should be ok (note also that Lukas' guides give the median arrival date of migrants!). Much to our surprise we had 2-3 birds there singing at noon! We had Hazel Hen at site 6 in Lukas' Bialoweiza guide, about 200-300m from the small parking area at site 6.1, though much of this trail is apparently quite good for it. We had to be very patient, and I appreciate we also had quite a bit of luck to see one in the middle of the day. I think early in the morning you have chances to disturb them feeding on the trails. We struggled with Black Woodpecker (Lukas gave us gen for two or three sites all of which we dipped at). We would have tried the Red Bog (site 17 in the Biebrza guide) but earlier that day we had a chance encounter in the forest on our way back from Kapice -- various species including Hawfinch and Black Woodpecker were feeding on the roadsides.

We didn't see (or look for) Bee-eater or Roller. they apparently arrive mid-May. Lukas would have better info than me.

It's worth mentioning that though we rarely felt "crowded", most places we visited there were other birders. This has the advantage that gen gets passed around while in the field, or over meals and/or beers in the evening. At that time of year there are various tour groups, and we in fact met up with Lukas himself at the Wejmukta Inn, and also with Marek Borokowski who was doing a week-long tour of the marshes and forest.

A full report of my trip is at http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~ian/Birding.

Cheers, Ian

Dear Gus,

I can vouch for Lukas' books and guiding services. I spent 2 days in Bialoweiza and 3 days at Biebrza in mid-May last year. We used both books which are very detailed and entertaining, and and available as pdf so you can carry them on your smart-phone. Of course they are recent as well (the Bialoweiza one was completed last year and the Biebrza one 2008) which means the gen in mostly spot on. In terms of layout and quality of information they are by some margin the best "where to watch birds in..." books I have used.

We also booked a guide (Arek Szmyura) through Lukas to help find woodpeckers and other sp. in the forest. This was invaluable -- there's no way we would have found Pygmy Owl, Three-toed or White-backed Woodpecker, or Red-breasted Flycatcher without him in the time we had available, and he also helped us find Hazel Hen and Grey-headed Woodpecker. Furthermore you are not even allowed into the Strict Reserve without a licensed guide. Though the only bird we had there and not elsewhere was Three-toed Woodpecker, I would still recommend making the effort, partly because it is an amazing experience to be in such a beautiful, undisturbed forest, but also to support local eco-tourism.

We saw Aquatic Warbler on 15th May at the well-known site Dluga Luka, so your timing should be ok (note also that Lukas' guides give the median arrival date of migrants!). Much to our surprise we had 2-3 birds there singing at noon! We had Hazel Hen at site 6 in Lukas' Bialoweiza guide, about 200-300m from the small parking area at site 6.1, though much of this trail is apparently quite good for it. We had to be very patient, and I appreciate we also had quite a bit of luck to see one in the middle of the day. I think early in the morning you have chances to disturb them feeding on the trails. We struggled with Black Woodpecker (Lukas gave us gen for two or three sites all of which we dipped at). We would have tried the Red Bog (site 17 in the Biebrza guide) but earlier that day we had a chance encounter in the forest on our way back from Kapice -- various species including Hawfinch and Black Woodpecker were feeding on the roadsides.

We didn't see (or look for) Bee-eater or Roller. they apparently arrive mid-May. Lukas would have better info than me.

It's worth mentioning that though we rarely felt "crowded", most places we visited there were other birders. This has the advantage that gen gets passed around while in the field, or over meals and/or beers in the evening. At that time of year there are various tour groups, and we in fact met up with Lukas himself at the Wejmukta Inn, and also with Marek Borokowski who was doing a week-long tour of the marshes and forest.

A full report of my trip is at http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~ian/Birding.

Cheers, Ian

Much appreciated help, Ian. Thank you .

Here's another vote for Lukasz and the WildPoland guides. I visited last year and found them amongst the best site guides I have ever used.

Hi Gus,

Aquatic warbler is relatively sure at a number of places. Biebrza marshes are possible to clear up quickly, although definitely very pleasant to bird. If you really want to be certain for Black Woodpecker and Hazelhen, spend couple of days in Białowieża forest in non-protected part (which has open access). Both species are common but roaming widely, so you should spend some time wandering in the forest until you pop on one. Listen to calls of both, which are rather easy (Goldcrest with long first sylabe for Hazelhen, vuvuzela for Black Woodpecker). Hazelhen is common but usually simply overlooked by visitors, especially noisy ones which don't walk much.

Last edited:
Hi Gus,

Aquatic warbler is relatively sure at a number of places. Biebrza marshes are possible to clear up quickly, although definitely very pleasant to bird. If you really want to be certain for Black Woodpecker and Hazelhen, spend couple of days in Białowieża forest in non-protected part (which has open access). Both species are common but roaming widely, so you should spend some time wandering in the forest until you pop on one. Listen to calls of both, which are rather easy (Goldcrest with long first sylabe for Hazelhen, vuvuzela for Black Woodpecker). Hazelhen is common but usually simply overlooked by visitors, especially noisy ones which don't walk much.

thats great Jurek, thank you. Am not too sure of where to go yet or where i'm staying. I really just want a week birding in this area to get a feel for it and hopefully get some life birds.

Ian, Paul, thanks for your words and feedback. Really happy you liked and enjoyed the books and most of all - found them useful :)

@Gus
The books give all the directions on where to watch most of the breeding birds here, incl Woodpeckers and Hazelhen. In addition, the informatory part will help you get an idea of this area and plan your trip.

Middle of May is perfect for Aquatic Wblrs, they arrive early May and by that time should be plentiful in proper places.

Rollers and Bee-eaters are not mentioned in the books.. they breed far from the National Parks the books cover. But both can be seen here.

Ian, Paul, thanks for your words and feedback. Really happy you liked and enjoyed the books and most of all - found them useful :)

@Gus
The books give all the directions on where to watch most of the breeding birds here, incl Woodpeckers and Hazelhen. In addition, the informatory part will help you get an idea of this area and plan your trip.

Middle of May is perfect for Aquatic Wblrs, they arrive early May and by that time should be plentiful in proper places.

Rollers and Bee-eaters are not mentioned in the books.. they breed far from the National Parks the books cover. But both can be seen here.

For a week birding in mainly the Biebrza marshes where would be the best place to be based ?
Would probably be self-catering and on a budget, certainly nothing fancy.

Gus, for Biebzra itself, Gugny village in the Southern basin is a good base, staying at Jan Kowalski's (I think there may be 1 or 2 alternatives here also), unfortunately, I don't have any further contact details.

There are a few other pension/B&B type houses in some of the villages within the basin, also some hotels of varing quality scattered around the edges, I don't know about any self-catering accomodation.

Gus, for Biebzra itself, Gugny village in the Southern basin is a good base, staying at Jan Kowalski's (I think there may be 1 or 2 alternatives here also), unfortunately, I don't have any further contact details.

There are a few other pension/B&B type houses in some of the villages within the basin, also some hotels of varing quality scattered around the edges, I don't know about any self-catering accomodation.

Andrew, thanks for the information. My daughter will be coming with me if we can get her a week of school, so will probably go for something where food is provided.
Will certainly try and find out more about this place as it is close to where we will be birdwatching I think.

Google translate does a funny job of translating Jan's name but I'm pretty sure the info is correct. He also gets mentions in Avestrom here and here, both pretty recent and his English is probably better than your Polish. Google Jan Kowalski gugny for more results, including some co-authored ornithological papers; he'd probably be happy to guide you if he has free time or advise you on where to go. I'm pretty sure B&B +EM +packed lunches can be arranged if they can fit you in. Birding begins before you get out of the car there and you could easily get some excellent birds and mammals before breakfast and some good owls before or after dinner.

I'm sure your daughter would have some wonderful sights, sounds and experiences from a trip to those areas.

Sorry to say but Jan Kowalski from Gugny died last year.. Not sure if his wife is still running the B&B but probably yes.

BTW - the google's translation does it since Jan Kowalski is Polish most common name and surname which I guess refers to John Smith in English.. :)

There are many cheap and decent places to stay to choose from. Starting from:

Lesniczowka Biebrzanska in Dobarz village: http://www.biebrza-narew.com/en_biebrza_offer.php - my favourite in the last years! - for the quality of food, hostility, location and price :)

Gugny - if Jan's wife still runs the place..

Rajski Staw in Zajki: http://www.rajskistaw.com/eng_index.htm

Carski Trakt in Sulin: http://www.carskitrakt.pl/index.php?lang=lgen&tresc=_home.php

And a few others - small farmhouse B&B that are not present on the web. The hosts of all places mentioned would help you with planning your trips, directions etc.

You can PM me for more detailed information or any help with the trips.

Hi,

If anyone is going to go to Biebrza marshes, I can find a cheap place to stay, an agrotouristic house. You can eat there regional food and will pay about 25% of hotel price. And rooms are comfortable. I liive in such room in Goniadz constantly and I'm happy of a price and conditions. And I would appreciate new birding friends there :)

Kris

tel. +48 500874306

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back