• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

habicht 10*40 & victory 8*32 fl (1 Viewer)

paleloc

Today is sunny , 100% sunny , which made my lunchtime woods tour great.
I got binos visual on a shrike, a couple of Eurasian magpies & even a kingfisher.
Black makeup on eyes of the shrike, metallic cyan sheen of the magpies & blue shiny snakeskin like feather coat of the kingfisher are all vivid!

Nowadays, I only take my habicht 10*40 instead of my victory 8*32 fl for all watching.
I cannot tell which have optic advantages,
but the 8 vs 10 different distance feel is obvious.
And I can hold a 10X binos steady enough.

I only found the zeiss roof beat habicht on ergonomics. At least the internal focus will avoid the eyecups pushing my glasses while adjusting.
the zeiss bag looks cool, which made me feel pretending a war field journalist every noon last month.
but now, I think the habicht cheap plastic bag is more suitable for my casual clothing on work days.

Anyone give me any clue why my zeiss is exactly cost twice as my habicht does?

In general, high quality roof prism binoculars are harder to manufacture than high quality porro prism binoculars are; we have been told. The tolerances required in making the roof prisms are critical, more so than in the porro prism. Repairing them is more complex.

Bob

Yes, I can understand.
but in the most board for optic ranking,
people always love to choose roofs for the tops, do they really realize the price not to be considered?

OK, I apologize.
Just told me how to find the optic advantage.

I forgot to add that Swarovski's roof prism 8 x 32 EL also probably costs twice as much as your Swarovski Habicht does.;)

You have now entered the area where individual preferences make a big difference. It is clear that most binocular users prefer using roof prisms rather than porro prisms.

It is also clear that in astronomical use that porro prisms are preferred.

Have you checked out the binocular forum on www.cloudynights.com?

Bob

Last edited:
:eat: Don't get me wrong.
I like roofs ,too. just like most of the people.
they look compact & cool.
you know it's elegant to show it on a concert.

I am now only querying the optic advantage of them.

:eat: Don't get me wrong.
I like roofs ,too. just like most of the people.
they look compact & cool.
you know it's elegant to show it on a concert.

I am now only querying the optic advantage of them.

There really is no optical advantage to the roof prism over porro prism. Each is a different solution to the problem of designing a compact optical device that makes objects appear larger.

I happen to prefer the ergonomics and pricibg of porro prism binoculars. Properly designed either one will do a good job.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back