• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LS-11 and LS-7 temp marks and index marks (1 Viewer)

pshute

Australia
I was hoping these recorders (which I don't own) would be able to divide mp3 files not recorded on the device, but apparently they can't. I wanted to cut out parts of some calls I've bought so I can compare bits of different tracks more easily. (I.e use it as a sophisticated mp3 player to learn calls.)

Can anyone tell me if they can at least place temp marks on these types of files? (I believe both the LS-11 and the LS-7 can do these.)

It's not clear from the manuals whether one can do this for sure, and whether one can place 16 temp marks per file, or 16 in total.

Has anyone used these temp marks? Do they work on 3rd party mp3s? How many can you set?

Also, the manual is ambiguous about when you can place index marks. They aren't mentioned in the recording section, so I assumed you can only place them during playback. But in the playback section, it mentions adding them during recording. Can you do the latter?

Can anyone tell me if they can at least place temp marks on these types of files? (I believe both the LS-11 and the LS-7 can do these.)

I have the LS-7 recorder. I can place temp marks on mp3 files that I have loaded and on files that I have recorded.

It's not clear from the manuals whether one can do this for sure, and whether one can place 16 temp marks per file, or 16 in total.

I just tried it and I can place up to 16 marks per file on multiple files. It appears that there is no total limit.

Also, the manual is ambiguous about when you can place index marks. They aren't mentioned in the recording section, so I assumed you can only place them during playback. But in the playback section, it mentions adding them during recording. Can you do the latter?

You can place index marks during playback or while recording.

I use my LS-7 to listen to and record birds. I used a freeware program to edit out the introductions to the files and split several multi-bird files before adding them to my recorder. It is easier to find the file that I am looking for on my LS-7 than it is on my dedicated mp3 player.

The built in speaker is decent, although not terribly loud, certainly adequate for my use.

The LS-7 is my first digital recorder, and I am a bit of a novice, but it certainly fits my needs very well.

Mike

I have the LS-7 recorder. I can place temp marks on mp3 files that I have loaded and on files that I have recorded.

I just tried it and I can place up to 16 marks per file on multiple files. It appears that there is no total limit.

You can place index marks during playback or while recording.

I use my LS-7 to listen to and record birds. I used a freeware program to edit out the introductions to the files and split several multi-bird files before adding them to my recorder. It is easier to find the file that I am looking for on my LS-7 than it is on my dedicated mp3 player.

The built in speaker is decent, although not terribly loud, certainly adequate for my use.

The LS-7 is my first digital recorder, and I am a bit of a novice, but it certainly fits my needs very well.
Thanks very much for confirming those things.

How do you find the quality of your recordings? I can't decide whether to get the LS-7, an LS-11, or a Sony PCM-M10. Are you using an external microphone? And have you found a furry wind screen for the LS-7?

It is easier to find the file that I am looking for on my LS-7 than it is on my dedicated mp3 player.
My Blackberry makes quite a good player. Because it has the keyboard, all I have to do it type a few letters of the species name, and it narrows down the displayed calls to match. So it never takes more than a couple of seconds to find.

I'd really like to be able to edit the recordings so I can isolate just a few seconds of them. I'd do it on the computer, but I don't have time. I have plenty of time on the train going to a from work. I think what I need is an iPhone, there are audio editing apps for those.

Furry Windscreen

How do you find the quality of your recordings? I can't decide whether to get the LS-7, an LS-11, or a Sony PCM-M10. Are you using an external microphone? And have you found a furry wind screen for the LS-7?

Hallo pshute,

I have the Olympus LS 11 and tried a furry windscreen. (It also fits LS 5) It works quite well.
I got this "Rycote Mini Windjammer" from Thomann, Germany.
www.thomann.de
It costs Euro 39.

Cyphorhinus

I find the audio quality quite good, and the controls are very intuitive. I am very happy with my choice, but as I said before, this is my first digital recorder, so I have nothing to compare it to. I had previously used my mp3 player to make short recordings, there is no comparison.

I am not using an external microphone, yet. That will probably be my next purchase.

The LS-7 comes with a foam windscreen which is effective up to a point. I have not been able to find a furry windscreen. I contacted both Rycote (Windjammer) and WindTech (Mic-Muff) about availability. Rycote had not heard of the LS-7, not surprising, I don't believe it is offered for sale by Olympus UK. They did offer to check if they had something available that would work if I provide them with dimensions. WindTech is working on one currently, no date when it may be available. The purchase of an external mic could render this issue mute.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back