• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (5 Viewers)

Stunning bird Gerry & great shots. It must have shown pretty well by the looks of things. A real supermodel of the bird world, they got the long legs in common. Rang a few up in Sweden four years back. Still an Irish tick for me but couldn't bring myself to go for it which I'm starting to regret.

Dermot

Stunning bird Gerry & great shots. It must have shown pretty well by the looks of things. A real supermodel of the bird world, they got the long legs in common. Rang a few up in Sweden four years back. Still an Irish tick for me but couldn't bring myself to go for it which I'm starting to regret.

Dermot

I agree had the jizz in the leg department of Rod Stewart wife Penny Lancaster.....

I had one beautiful Twite bird in my garden for over and hour yesterday and just sat enjoying looking at it. I believe it was a lovely garland of mixed seeds from Poundstretcher which lured him in while I was away visiting granchild. I noticed it very hesitant to try to go on the peanut feeder and spent most of his time waiting on a space with little confidence compared to other birds and when he did get on only remained for very short time. I also saw about three small Redpolls on the garland as well.

Noticing a lot of grey on this squirrel frequenting my daughters garden in England to the delight of my granchild. Indeed dad is not amused at him digging holes to bury food before his very eyes in the new lawn but the cats seems to have no fear of sending him packing at least. I counted five almost all grey squirrels nearby in a huge tree having the time of their lives chasing and pouncing on each other for hours as very lively playmates. Thats a resident hedgehog, frogs and grey squirrels and Isabela has begun to curiously watch to see what more animals might appear out of the blue......

Attachments

• nov 102.jpg
    nov 102.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 53
  • nov 125.jpg
    nov 125.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 58
  • nov 101.jpg
    nov 101.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 49
  • nov 103.jpg
    nov 103.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 42
Just in response to a PM I received yesterday - the term "jizz" in birding parlance means roughly "how the bird moves", almost the gist of the bird - the term is thought to derive from the WWII term GISS which was a technique for identifying enemy shops and planes at distance - it stands for General Impression of Size and Shape.

There were 330 pale bellied brent and 2 dark belied brent + a peregrine at carlingford yesterday, no juveniles! Also 3 ruff at dundalk harbour...

A couple of photos of these gorgeous colourful tiny birds stuffed in Tring museum.

Attachments

• 080.jpg
    080.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 59
I had camera set on behind glass setting so dreadful photo of this think large Herring Gull on house roof nearby watching our gardens. I think some gulls can be cross so bit wary of him but think he is going to make attempt to look for food ................. They must be hungry or just plain nosey but the gliding of them around here is something else. I guess winter is finally here as of the return of my beautiful Goldfinches finally after noticing other day that the thistle plants in field nearby are starting to die. I saw Siskins once or twice but not daily yet.

Attachments

• Bella oct & nov 131.jpg
    Bella oct & nov 131.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 54
Good fall of song thrushes, redwings and skylarks this morning + 12 great northern divers and 10 red throated divers at cooley point...

Another gorgeous bird in my garden............. I only had seconds to admire it but the rosey pink and black striped head stood out and lots of rosey pink down sides with a lot of black streaks on chest too and had a longish tail. To me there seemed to be stunning rosey pink and black all over bird even on its back or that is my memory. I was actually going down the garden trying to sneak a photo of several lovely Reed Buntings that stayed all day but came upon this even nicer bird by accident hiding almost in the tree. I havent altered the colour in anyway and have just cropped it. I think it might be a male Twite as know I had a definite but lesser colourful Twite possibly a female recently but I could be wrong. I also have a gorgeous Mistle Thrush back and forth all day but camera shy.

Attachments

• winter bird 129.jpg
    winter bird 129.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 83
  • winter bird128.jpg
    winter bird128.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 83
Another gorgeous bird in my garden............. I only had seconds to admire it but the rosey pink and black striped head stood out and lots of rosey pink down sides with a lot of black streaks on chest too and had a longish tail. To me there seemed to be stunning rosey pink and black all over bird even on its back or that is my memory. I was actually going down the garden trying to sneak a photo of several lovely Reed Buntings that stayed all day but came upon this even nicer bird by accident hiding almost in the tree. I havent altered the colour in anyway and have just cropped it. I think it might be a male Twite as know I had a definite but lesser colourful Twite possibly a female recently but I could be wrong. I also have a gorgeous Mistle Thrush back and forth all day but camera shy.

Another gorgeous bird in my garden........ Hi Dolce, I think the bird in the photo is a female House Sparrow....... a nice bird none the less!

I had seconds to snap it and pictures are badly blurred as it was moving but it had a pure deep rosey pink on face and black stripes on head which cannot be seen in the photos. You can see the pink area around throat and lower cheeks particularly even in bad picture, it wasnt a pale pink at all but an unmistakeable deep rosey pink. The bird was simply rosey pink and black mainly all over it not hints of colours. I have looked at Larks and Pipits particularly as not unlike them also. I know what you mean by a female sparrow having a pale buffish colour that could be mistaken for pale pink at a distance but this was not at all like that.

About 800 gulls at Cruisetown today mainly Common Gull with 1 Med Gull the best. No sign of any scotor or grebes. The shellfish dredgers must be having an effect. 3 Mallard! 40 Coot 30 Tufted Duck and 10 Pochard at Mell

Attachments

• medgull.jpg
    medgull.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 54
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back