• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding sites near Albuquerque (1 Viewer)

S Crisp

I'm going to be in Albuquerque during June and would be grateful for any information on sites in or near the area.

Many thanks.

S. Crisp

S Crisp, I have been working in ABQ for the past couple of years now so I am pretty familiar with the birding areas. Generally birds tend to be spread out a bit in ABQ and surrounds, mainly due to the large variety of habitats.

This is the main web site that will help you find specific birds in the area:

http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?src=...continue.x=32&continue.y=10&continue=Continue

There is also a bird finding guide (I forget the author/publisher - it has a blue cover though) which can be helpful.

You will want to visit Bosque Del Apache - (Just over 1 hr south of ABQ) One of the easiest places to see bobcat (although I have struck out on my last two visits) - lots of good bird species as you can see by filtering the e-bird link and also animal species. Water Canyon and 'the box' just west of Socorro can be done the same day (a number of rarer species) - you can find all these places on e-bird.

Jemez Falls is another excellent area; various areas around Santa Fe. Rio Grande Nature Centre in ABQ is OK - (last week I saw a GH Owl on a nest there and a porcupine in a tree). The Sandias in ABQ eg Sandia crest and capulin spring are also good. many other places for specific species (see e-bird)

If you have the time I highly recommend a couple of nights at Cave Creek Ranch in the Chiricahuas, in SE Arizona (it looks far but roads are quick in NM and it is only 5 hrs drive (without speeding) from ABQ. This is one of my favorite birding/wildlife spots in the US

The harder species in NM and AZ are often easier if you use calls

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back