• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sorry to bother again ... (1 Viewer)

Mike Robinson

but I automatically assumed the bird (seen beside Southend Pier, Essex, today) per the attached picture to be a Black-Tailed Godwit. However, I'm wondering if it might instead be a Bar-Tailed Godwit please. The birds I see further upstream seem to have gentle beige coloured backs (I hope that make sense).

I promise this is the last time I shall both anyone today.

Thanks Mike ....

Attachments

• godwit.jpg
    godwit.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
but I automatically assumed the bird (seen beside Southend Pier, Essex, today) per the attached picture to be a Black-Tailed Godwit. However, I'm wondering if it might instead be a Bar-Tailed Godwit please. The birds I see further upstream seem to have gentle beige coloured backs (I hope that make sense).

Thanks Mike ....

Picture? ;)

Thanks Mike ....

Bar-tailed Godwit. As you say, Black-tailed Godwits tend to have a more uniform back in winter whilst Bar-tailed are more marked.

agreed, bar tailed - I disagree with you thinking that you're a bother though! We all love identifying pictures for people, any that you have, don't hesitate! Really! :)

A rough rule to follow is the ratio of length of leg above the 'knee' to that below the 'knee'. In your photo you can see that the length above is smaller than the length below the knee, ergo bar-tailed as bar is shorter than black.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back