• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LBJs- ?? Austria (1 Viewer)

Siskin?! Only ever once seen one here but it was in the summer and he was quite yellow.

I'm not convinced that is a siskin either, even a female / juvenile. To me it is too round, more like redpoll, not green/yellow and the markings are too fine. When was this taken ? In redpoll red on the head can be very faint for a while after moult, and this isn't a good viewing angle either. I'm not sure I can rule out linnet (female) or even twite either, though the latter should have a yellow beak at this time of year. A female linnet marked like that would be very pale, but I couldn't rule it out completely even though I would call this a bit round for a linnet too.

Definitely not sure ! but very unhappy with siskin.

Mike.

I'm not convinced that is a siskin either [...]

Mike.
Your opinion Mike, though it´s a female Siskin.
I found a image of a young female (captive):

Don´t know why I can´t upload the photo, datas are far below the maximum for jpg

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that is a siskin either, even a female / juvenile. To me it is too round, more like redpoll, not green/yellow and the markings are too fine. When was this taken ? In redpoll red on the head can be very faint for a while after moult, and this isn't a good viewing angle either. I'm not sure I can rule out linnet (female) or even twite either, though the latter should have a yellow beak at this time of year. A female linnet marked like that would be very pale, but I couldn't rule it out completely even though I would call this a bit round for a linnet too.

Mike.

It's a Siskin for me too.

I can't make out anything redpoll-ish about it, as well as no red on the forehead there is no black beneath the bill and it doesn't look streaked enough. The lack of pale marks around the eye don't look right for Linnet to me, and I can't see anything that would make it a Twite.

I found a image of a young female (captive):

Don´t know why I can´t upload the photo, datas are far below the maximum for jpg

How about this site ?

http://www.ibercajalav.net/img/432_SiskinCspinus.pdf

The more I look at the bird in question, the less I like bill length, head shape and colouration for siskin, and the streaking looks long and fine, though you do see quite a lot of variation. I do see plenty siskin at close quarters - they are at my mothers feeders all year round, we get them here sometimes and catch them when ringing.

Mike.

How about this site ?

http://www.ibercajalav.net/img/432_SiskinCspinus.pdf

The more I look at the bird in question, the less I like bill length, head shape and colouration for siskin, and the streaking looks long and fine, though you do see quite a lot of variation. I do see plenty siskin at close quarters - they are at my mothers feeders all year round, we get them here sometimes and catch them when ringing.

Mike.

I do agree that the bill length looks a bit short for Siskin, possibly Serin?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back