• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Semi-Tame Bird on my porch (1 Viewer)

calmwind

This bird has been making a home among the Christmas lights on my front porch the past several days. When I get within a few feet he will flutter around my head and land on another area of the porch, but never leave it. At first I thought it was a fly catcher, but after taking a photo, I doubt it is. The almost tame nature of the bird has me intrigued. Any help on ID'ing it would be very appreciated. I live in Maryland, USA btw.

Attachments

• birdy.jpg
    birdy.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 180
You have a female House Finch. They are rather tame.

Ah, Thank you very much, mystery solved. Feel sorry for the little thing out there in the cold wind, will leave the lights on tonight to help keep her warm. ^_^

Edit: Love your avatar btw ospr3y, getting up early to see the new ep. tomorrow morning =]

Last edited:
Look for the Red topped Male around, They're such a nice red color to see. If you feel sorry for her about being in the cold don't worry about her being cold but instead worry about her getting some Black oil sunflower seeds and some water from a heated birdbath...wink wink..haha

If there is a rafter or other suitable niche, you might get a nest next year. Porches are favorite nesting places for House Finches.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back