• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Reserve Loch Spynie (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

I've just heard elsewhere that a Loch up in Scotland called Loch Spynie has been an RSPB reserve for a few months. There's been no information about this on the RSPB website or in the RSPB's quarterly magazine. Has anyone any information on this new RSPB reserve in Scotland?
Ian.

I can see they're still advertising for a Warden for the site: http://www.rspb.org.uk/vacancies/details.aspx?id=369649
That's where I first noticed it as a reserve. There's been no news about it at all that I can see from the RSPB. How long has Loch Spynie been an RSPB reserve? Have they bought the land outright or is it on a lease? Is there any visiting allowed by the public to this new reserve? I've been unable to find out anything out about this as a new RSPB new reserve through Google, although there is information about Loch Spynie in General, but not as an RSPB reserve.
Ian.

Searching the RSPB site: http://www.rspb.org.uk/search/index.aspx?q=Loch Spynie

Hot off the press: by April 2014, we are hoping to have finalised a management agreement for a new reserve at Loch Spynie. It’s in Moray, will be known to many of you, and is a very exciting proposition for the future. It’s unlikely that visiting arrangements will change much in the near future, and we will be taking things slowly, but we’re thrilled.

That's where I first noticed it as a reserve. There's been no news about it at all that I can see from the RSPB. How long has Loch Spynie been an RSPB reserve? Have they bought the land outright or is it on a lease? Is there any visiting allowed by the public to this new reserve? I've been unable to find out anything out about this as a new RSPB new reserve through Google, although there is information about Loch Spynie in General, but not as an RSPB reserve.
Ian.

There is already access to the hide there, though it is an absolute b*gg*r to find down several unmarked lanes and farm tracks.

It turns up a lot of interesting stuff, especially rare wildfowl in winter. Marsh Harriers are seen most years. There is a large breeding colony of black-headed gulls, complete with several pairs of common terns. Red squirrels and otters are regular. Crested tits are in the area but not yet on site.

The surrounding land is strictly private, though you can see several typical farmland species - yellowhammer, whitethroat, partridges from the approach road.

The trees one side of the approach to the hide have recently been cut down and it remains to be seen what impact this will have on the wildlife.

Typically, this announcement came after the book was released, thus rendering it out of date already;):C

Gordon Hamlett - Author of Best Birdwatching Sites: Scottish Highlands

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back