• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the United States: A Demographic and Economic Analysis (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

On July 15 2009 by the USFWS released Birding in the United States: A Demographic and Economic Analysis

A copy of the PDF can be downloaded here:

http://library.fws.gov/Pubs/birding_natsurvey06.pdf

For 2006 data they estimate expenditure on Wildlife-watching equipment to be $6,869,054,000.

They define Wildlife-watching equipment as: "Equipment expenditures consist of binoculars, cameras, bird food, nest boxes, day packs, and other wildlife-watching equipment."

They say there are 47,693,000 birdwatchers in the USA defined pretty much as anyone who pays attention to birds. For people who travel away from home to see birds they say there are 19,860,000 people. Make of that what you will. ;)

So average equipment expenditure per birdwatcher is 6869 million / 47.693 million or about $144 per year.

Interesting ballpark figure for estimating how much people spend on bins (or spotting scopes and backpacks and cameras and bird food) per year.

Last edited:
Well, I can unhappily say I was a part of that expenditure and the grand I just kicked out today probably isn't in that count.

I was definitely part of that expenditure - much to my partner's dismay.
Yeah, KC, what did you get?

Interesting - birders in Europe are usualy male and 15-30 years old.

There was even a joke about female birder and guinea pig. ;)

Huh... I find most birders in Sweden to be male and 40+. I usually feel very odd as a woman of 27...

Don't want to think about how much money I've spent on equipment though, but on the other hand... a good scope can last for 20+ years. :)

I've spent some money this year on bird watching: feeder - $39, binos - $320, another bino - $370, books - 80, iTouch bird apps - $70, plus bird food. Oh, a safari vest ans safari shirt to look cool with my binos - $85 total.

books - 80
Obviously you do not have enough books yet. Do you have the one on the gulls yet?

[I do not have it either. Yet.]

I have a fishing shirt. Same as safari shirt I guess. And green pants. Must have green pants. No camo.

Very interesting information. Surprised that they did not include numbers for Washington D.C., where many people claim to have seen the federal-eagle money bird who was rumored to poop on Fridays. Maybe now it has become more of a bird of prey.

....$144.00....per YEAR?!....that survey couldn't have included all the US posters on this website. Now if you move the decimal pt over a place......2 binos in the last 12mo, along with a Maxpledition over-the-shoulder tote, and I still need a new NG Birds of NA (am waiting, tho, as taxonomy is supposedly changing, and that will make old and current versions...obselescent at least)....and will also now need to get green trou and a Tilley hat (like in Jennifer Tilley? Does she deliver the hat...and maybe go along on a bird outing to the deep woods to make sure the hat is satisfactory?).

But seriously folks, 6B+ is one helluva lotta scopes/spyglasses and birdfood/feeders......

T%

It probably didn't include all the US posters here, but even all of us aren't spending that much on birding (I'm easily under their $144 per year line). I know plenty of the anomaly under 30 pawn shop binocular nomadic bird work crowd that might have a $20 pair of binoculars and a couple of field guides.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back