• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular choice (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Hi to all,
I have just received a gift of £300 and wish to purchase a new pair of binoculars. I have always had 10 x 50's. For the last 10 years had a pair of Minolta classics which I have been very happy with, but a recent accident meant that they are no longer functioning properly.
I would be pleased to hear views as to what are probably the best pair for birding within my budget. I could add a little more if it really made a big difference. I spend a lot of time using my bins, visiting the North Norfolk coast frequently so; good distance, light and quick focussing would all be important factors.
All opinions gratefully appreciated.
Many thanks,
Jono

Well, it may be time to move on to 10x42 then. many models available. Someone will come and suggest Chinese ED 10x42. One or two brands in UK.

Maybe on your next visit to North Norfolk pop into Cleyspy in Glandford, they really do have an enormous selection to choose from and try out on the sites farmland surroundings.

If I where to choose any bin upto £300 it'd be Opticrons 8x42 HRWP (£239ish), handling is a bit quarky and the focus is a little slow (but not as slow as the Hawke Frontier ED 8x43) but they do have extremely good optics, second choice would be the Hawke ED 8x43 or for a bit more cash Opticrons 8x42 imagic SE.

Matt

Hi jono
What about Opticron Imagic se 8x42 tried these recently and was very impressed also Frontier by Hawke 8x43 ED both around £300 if you wear glasses the Opticron would have the better eye relief.
Harold

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back