• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (1 Viewer)

30- Spangled Drongo.

Only two weeks' until the university holidays, so hopefully I'll be able to add a few more when I get some time at home!

Cold, wet and windy ...a miserly 7 C today!

Still, Corncrakes have arrived in the meadows, plus White-backed Woodpeckers have fledged their young and two Great White Egrets roosted overnight, then spending at least the morning.

110. Corncrake
111. Icterine Warbler

Not bad for a hot, summer day here in St. Joseph, Missouri.
Twenty (20) bird species seen/*heard in our yard today. (I think my highest ever for one day here is 20.)

Common Grackle
European Starling
Black-capped Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
Northern Cardinal
Gray Catbird
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Chimney Swift
Mourning Dove
American Robin
House Finch
House Sparrow
*Blue Jay
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Tufted Titmouse
Chipping Sparrow
Carolina Wren
Edit:
Just added # 20 for the day in our yard:
Hairy Woodpecker

Last edited:
Awoken this morning around 5am by an unfamiliar call, and since I had half an idea I forced myself up to investigate. Eventually tracked down 76. Yellow-billed Cuckoo . A lifer for me, and after I took a couple of appallingly rubbish photos, I snuck home to wake up Dad (Jabberwocky) who is visiting at the moment. Sadly we didn't manage to relocate it, although it did call repeatedly.

That does mean that we've both seen/heard both local cuckoos in the last ten days though, both new for both of us - very nice.

Dad's Canadian garden list isn't as healthy as his last visit, as there are far more leaves on the trees. This is the first new one I've had whilst he's been here, at least in the garden. Maybe we'll count his up at the end of the visit.

64) Sedge Warbler, which I'm thrilled about
65) Moorhen

Lots of common birds breeding in the vicinity too.

Only ever had the latter once!...and the former twice, both Sedgies on passage in July and August....well done.....I'm not jealous. :-C

Some of you appear to be confusing your county year list with your garden year list! :eek!:

34 - House Martin - 2nd July
35 - Swift - 4th July

All the best

Last edited:
66) Lesser Redpoll, a nice male dropped onto a gravel path for a minute or so.....didn't see him again after that.

After Chiff Chaff my first returning migrant....and it's no.64

Attachments

• P1330110.jpeg  Phyllosc.2..jpg
    P1330110.jpeg Phyllosc.2..jpg
    162 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
After a 2hr watch staring at a blank (not even a Swift!) cumulus dominated blue sky.....a flyover Pied Wagtail makes it 65!

Last edited:
I'm spending most of the day gardening - so I hope something might happen past.
I saw that one of my nearest large ponds has breeding Tufted Duck - very rare hereabouts - maybe when they disperse I might get a fly over like Ken did.

I'm spending most of the day gardening - so I hope something might happen past.
I saw that one of my nearest large ponds has breeding Tufted Duck - very rare hereabouts - maybe when they disperse I might get a fly over like Ken did.

Yes H....when the "garden furniture" fails!...look yonder to those cumulus sails, aloft on high a prize may chance that would go unnoticed without that upward glance.

Perchance to dream of those so rare...that makes us mortals upward stare.

Invariably in vain we scan the heights to that which....might turn to a hearts delight!

Didn't you already get Chiffchaff in April?

Of course numerous times and also this month, however the bird shown seems to fall between two stools, in one image there is a suggestion of an emargination on 6th, on another just 3,4 and 5 with a c75-80% pp which as you know is at odds with CC. Perhaps you'd like to make a constructive comment in the Q&A thread regarding this bird, as your so keen to criticise my grdn.bird list integrity?

If I don't catch up with WW this year...I will revise down, alternatively If I do, I will maintain the status quo.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back