• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mistle Trush (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hi,

at saturday I saw this bird in protected area Nuthe Nieplitz near Berlin.
For a Song Trush it sems a to big.

Best regards
Dieter

Attachments

• DSC03890.JPG
    DSC03890.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC03891.JPG
    DSC03891.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 181
I guess you're right. Song Thrush is probably very rare at this time of year near Berlin (only a few stay in the Netherlands).

I've got a book and a DVD to help me identify birds. The book says Song Thrushes are the upright, and the DVD says that the Mistle Thrushes are. We had a plump thrush in our garden at the weekend eating our bread. It wasn't very upright so at the time I reckoned it was a mistle thrush, but now I'm not sure.

A Song Thrush is smaller than the Blackbird and the Mistle Thrush is bigger.Here in the North East of England,the Blackbird is common, so it is easy to see the difference. :flyaway:

Mistle thrushes are the more upright also they tend to pose more. Song thrushes are generally more active but none of these behavioural traits can be used to successfully id. Breast pattern is what you need to look for also song thrush has more even brown upper plumage whereas a mistle has a more greyer brown with a subtle variation in greyness throughout the upperparts. Best thing to do is to study your books until it clicks. I agree with lou and think this bird is a mistle.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back