• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Meopta Scope Coming (1 Viewer)

Sort of a disappointment, I was hoping for a 65 mm Meostar S2.
And a fixed zoom at this price point, well that would have worked if it was something similar to the 30-60x for the Meostar. Now that the MSRP is so close to the street price of the Meostar body, I'd personally go for the Meostar every time.
It must be an awfully good scope to sell well, but if the street price comes down it might be something for those who never would consider an eyepiece with fixed magnification.

//L

Good point about a 65mm S2. If it were really lightweight I'd consider buying a 65mm body and switching out the eyepiece as needed.

Over here the S2 is discounted from MSRP about $345 (the price went up $100 this past year). If we assume the new 80mm HD would be discounted maybe $245, you're still looking at a $1480 scope. Lots of competition at that price point, but still $820 less than the S2.

The press release states Meopta uses Schott glass in the 80 HD. I guess I always assumed they were using their own. Who knows, maybe the S2 is using HT glass. It's bright enough.

Mark

Pass.... the S2 is a beast. The wide field all the way up to 60x is jaw dropping.

Why you'd want this I am not too sure.

Hello Mark,

Look at this thread, posts 19-22.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Thanks, Arthur. I had forgot about that thread. Good to see some manufacturing/assembly coming back.

PS: I enjoy your NYC updates. The Phoebes showed up in Central Park the same day they did here!

Mark

Thanks, Arthur. I had forgot about that thread. Good to see some manufacturing/assembly coming back.

PS: I enjoy your NYC updates. The Phoebes showed up in Central Park the same day they did here!

Mark

Hello Mark,

At your service.

Tree swallows turned up, today.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

IMHO, is looks like something for large .GOV type contracts.
Wouldn't want the plebes to have the best but good enough for university and .GOV work.
High end Meopta stuff is damn good, I may get the 82mm to use at my brothers place in New Mexico...lots of wildlife in the spring to include birds, bear, elk, deer, mountain lion and G-D knows what else.
I will bring my 65mm Swaro back to Alaska since it is easier to cart around.
Art

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back