• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips for faster sighting in with an angled scope (1 Viewer)

ibirdeverywhere

Swarovski 8x32EL Swarovision Swarovski CL8x30 Comp
I just recently purchased a Vortex Razor 85mm angled scope to replace a very old non-angled scope.

I have used non-angled scopes for most of my life, and making the transition to the angled design, which is very comfortable to use, has been difficult at times especially when I am trying to site in something like a single shore bird in the distance.

I start out at the minimum magnification for sighting, but I feel like I am still really slow at getting on the target.

Any suggestions? Thanks much--Ed

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99084

I hope this excellent thread helps! I found it pretty quick by finding a post by Kimmo.

This is still by far the best sighting device for angled scopes. I've been using one for many, many years now, and with it I'm faster on a bird with my Nikon with the narrow zoom eyepiece than most birders using wideangle zooms.

I just don't understand why there are still people around who don't use it.

Hermann

After using straight spottingscopes for nearly thirty years (observation of migrating raptors almost exclusively), I recently moved to 45° angled models thanks to the simply ingenious device of the "cable-tie sight"....
At the end of the day, the visual comfort is greatly improved.
Some friends of mine, also hawkwatchers, still prefer the straight model however.
Luca

Previously I had a straight scope and now an angled scope. I have dealt with the same issues. What I do is zoom the eye-piece out (away from the subject) to the wildest angle. I point my scope at the subject as I am standing up behind the scope (not looking thru the scope yet). Make note of the objects next to the subject. This is in case you do not get the subject in view the first try you at least see where your scope is pointing relative to your intended subject and then make adjustments. Focus so things are sharp. Once you have located the subject, obviously you then can zoom in on it :)

Thank you everyone for your great ideas and suggestions. I will definitely give the cable tie sight a try and thanks NatureLvr for your nice description for getting a bead on your target

Thank you everyone for your great ideas and suggestions. I will definitely give the cable tie sight a try and thanks NatureLvr for your nice description for getting a bead on your target

The cable tie sight is a MUST.

High altitude Raptors in clear blue skies, fast paced sea ducks low over the water, it copes with them all and then some.

Amazing for fast moving warblers in a leafy canopy too.

:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back