• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2007 List - Predictions for First Entry? (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
OK, here's a thought. What is most likely to be number 1 on your 2007 list?
Can you guess, predict or engineer your first spot?
I live in Cheltenham so mine will be a local bird and I am predicting:
Magpie (Pica pica) - evens
Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) - 2 to 1
Feral pigion (Columba livia) - 3 to 1
I may see lots of gulls first but I am still a long way from telling a Herring Gull from a Black-headed Gull (especially when they are hundreds of feet up in the air and don't stop for me).
Alan

Im guessing black headed gull because no doubt they will be passing over when i get up. It could also be another gull species associated with the roost. Magpie maybe heard as i get out of bed.

My first new bird of the year is always one at my feeders. Therefore, it will probably be either an American Goldfinch, Dark-eyed Junco, or Mourning Dove. Other possibilities include Northern Cardinal and Song Sparrow.

Dave

Mine will most likely be a Robin, as there is one that sings through the night out the back at the moment and seeing as i dont intend to go to bed before midnight, i expect it will be number one.

Number two will depend if the Song Thrush or the Blackbird is singing as well. If not, first in the morning will undoubtedly be Feral Pigeon - there are alway 2 sitting on the roof of the house opposite mine.

Following that - BHG, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Blackbird (if not already on the list), House Sparrow, Starling - probably in that order!

Mike

It would normally be a house sparrow, but the seeds I put out are attracting only Chickadees, Tufted Titmice and Cardinals. The sparrow have not been seen for weeks on my property.

Nightjar61 said:
My first new bird of the year is always one at my feeders. Therefore, it will probably be either an American Goldfinch, Dark-eyed Junco, or Mourning Dove. Other possibilities include Northern Cardinal and Song Sparrow.

Dave

Wouldn't mind one of those as my first sp of the year ;) Mine will undoubtedly be House Sparrow chirping away outside my window.

My first bird of 2007 will probably be a European Starling. They have been perched outside our house and singing when I first get up in the morning.

Given that my feeders have been abandoned by all wildlife except for the squirrels, I can't count on the blue jays or the house sparrows to show up first thing on New Year's Day. So my first bird will likely be one of the neighbourhood crows (American crow, that is).

Tricky. We're going out before dawn in order to get to Norfolk for dawn so I'm not sure if any of the neighbourhood birds will be about. My first bird might actually be the early morning Barn Owl I sometimes see on the A47. That would be cool.

I am targetting the Cetti's warbler that is wintering on my local patch, Swithland Reservoir, as Number 1 but I expect something else will pop up first.

Steve

House Sparrow,Black Headed Gull or Blackbird but not always in that order.They have been the top 3 on my list for the past 5 Years. All the best everyone
B :) B :) B :) B :) B :) B :) B :) B :) B :) B :)

I'll probably hear a tawny owl first but the first to be seen will probably be a blue or great tit.

Happy New Year everyone.

If the last two weeks are anything to go by it will be the Song Thrush that has been singing in or near the garden for what seems most of the early hours of each morning. Not a bad bird to wake up to. ;) 2nd favourite will be the House Sparrows that are constantly on the feeders and bird table.

Actual First Spot

Picus-viridis said:
OK, here's a thought. What is most likely to be number 1 on your 2007 list?
Can you guess, predict or engineer your first spot?
I live in Cheltenham so mine will be a local bird and I am predicting:
Magpie (Pica pica) - evens
Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) - 2 to 1
Feral pigion (Columba livia) - 3 to 1
I may see lots of gulls first but I am still a long way from telling a Herring Gull from a Black-headed Gull (especially when they are hundreds of feet up in the air and don't stop for me).
Alan
OK, I admit I was a total failure.
First spot was a House Sparrow (Passer domesticus). Not that unusual but I don't often see them close enough to be certain. Today as I got into the car I heard the sound of birds and turned to see three sparrows singing merrily about six feet away on a bush.
Numbers 2 and 3 were Feral Pigeon and Magpie, on the way to my first day of real spotting - at the Cotswold Water Park near Cirencester. I am quite pleased with about 25 so far, including a Cormorant which is certainly new to me.
So did anyone else get theirs right?
Alan

postcardcv said:
I should start with tawny owl - have done in 3 of the last 4 years... if not it will be a blackbird.

Things went to form for me... heard tawny owl at about 1:45 this morning... first bird I saw was a female blackbird.

postcardcv said:
Things went to form for me... heard tawny owl at about 1:45 this morning... first bird I saw was a female blackbird.
Same here,The Blue rock thrush has been in the garden all week early morning,so it was a safe bet she would be around.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back