• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sgtray.exe ????? (1 Viewer)

deborah4

Hi

Does anyone know what program this is? I'm having trouble shutting down XP sometimes and a box comes up with Sgtray.exe - program not responding - click here etc - then tells me all unsaved data will be lost. I thought at first it was the internet browser or msn but it doesn't appear to make a difference even if these are not running.

deborah4 said:
Hi

Does anyone know what program this is? I'm having trouble shutting down XP sometimes and a box comes up with Sgtray.exe - program not responding - click here etc - then tells me all unsaved data will be lost. I thought at first it was the internet browser or msn but it doesn't appear to make a difference even if these are not running.

Hi Deborah

Nobody seems to know whether this is malaware or not from what i can see.
It appears to be linked with a company called Veritas and can get on your PC via a program called Record Now...........which i assume you don't have.

Try this first

Click Start then click run
Type msconfig in the box then press ok
Click on Startup tab and look for sgstray.exe.
Assuming its there unclick the box next to it.
That should stop it dead......fingers crossed.

deborah4 said:
Hi Does anyone know what program this is? I'm having trouble shutting down XP sometimes and a box comes up with Sgtray.exe - program not responding - click here etc - then tells me all unsaved data will be lost. I thought at first it was the internet browser or msn but it doesn't appear to make a difference even if these are not running.
Deborah4, This does not appear to be of any real concern according to the following examples (just click on each link to open) :-

http://forums.randi.org/archive/index.php/t-10683.html

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/startup/sgtray.exe.php

http://startup.networktechs.com/srch-sgtray.exe.html

Hope this helps.

Roger

Hi Mark & Roger

Oh dear...I should have said Im a complete computor-phobe! From what you say (and from the links), this isn't a virus (so that's ok) but it is a program that reminds me to make back up files. I don't understand this: Does it mean I must burn some files onto CD or something? I'm really reticent about removing programs etc - I mean is this thing useful? Do I need it? What will happen if I remove it?

Ok...Ive followed your steps Mark but aborted before clicking on sgtray .. it looks like a bonafide microsoft programme (unless that's just the location of it! what do I know) and yes its in the startup prog. list. So it looks easy to do what you suggest providing there is no reason for me to keep it running in the background.

Last edited:
deborah4 said:
Hi Mark & Roger

Oh dear...I should have said Im a complete computor-phobe! From what you say (and from the links), this isn't a virus (so that's ok) but it is a program that reminds me to make back up files. I don't understand this: Does it mean I must burn some files onto CD or something? I'm really reticent about removing programs etc - I mean is this thing useful? Do I need it? What will happen if I remove it?

It means nothing at all Deborah.........you certainly don't need to burn CD's or anything like that.And it's not useful.

If you can live with it then leave it if not try what i said.
You can always reverse it.It's not removing it my way........it's just stopping it from starting up.

Ok Mark, Ive done what you said and the program is now disabled. Have no idea what im doing though!!!! Thanks a lot for your help :loveme:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back