• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (12 Viewers)

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Teal (c30) despite the sound of hammer-on-nail from Speedie Hidebuilders PLC.

MOORS:
Little Egret. Not the Bittell bird seen in the morning.
Shelduck(2)------------------Pochard (7)
Shoveler (7)-----------------Tufted Duck (27)
Teal (67)---------------------Snipe (8)
Curlew (17)------------------Little Grebe
G C Grebe (4)----------------Cormorant (38)
Peregrine---------------------Herring Gull (6)
Greylag Goose (25) seen from Moors over Sailing Pool.

ED RES/SALWARPE
Treecreeper------------------ Siskin/Redpoll (c15)
Goldcrest----------------------Jay (2)

Des.

Tempted... but I shall refrain and maintain a sense of decorum at least for the time being.

Last edited:
A quick 45 minutes before sun down at the Moors Pool this afternoon produced:

2 Mute Swan, 4 Grey Heron, 9 Cormorant, 7 Shoveler, 2 Shelduck, 7+ Pochard (4+ males, 3 females), 32 Tufted Duck, 5 Moorhen, 3 GC Grebe (+1 on Sailing Pool), 2 Little Grebe, 17 Curlew, a roost of Magpies in the hedge along the east track.

Last edited:
Message sent to me on facebook by the Worcester Wildlife Trust

Worcestershire Wildlife Trust Hi Nick. The building work is due to be completed by the end of this month. Following approval by the planning authority, we're hoping the hide will be open by mid-Feb. We're sorry for the delays in the project but are confident you'll be able to visit the new hide soon.
9 minutes ago · Like

Further to Nick's post, here is the official announcement on the Trust's shiny new website:

"The Avocet Hide at the Flash Pools is currently being replaced. Building works are due to be completed by the end of January 2012 and, subject to final approval from the planning authority, we're hoping to open the hide by mid-February. The 6 hides elsewhere on the reserve remain open.

We apologise for the delay in the work".

Being as we see our fair share of Green and Common Sandpipers at UW (with the odd Wood Sand thrown in), I thought this thread (that seems to have the masses divided) may be of interest to you. My thoughts initially were Wood Sand because of the bird's general elegance and lightweight appearance (although some features suggest Green) but I think the harsh Kalahari Desert sunlight may be confusing us...
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=221398... see what you think.

Met Gav at the mecca today - all I can say is, I dread to think how many people would have been there if there were any birds. Car park was full all day:eek!: To be fair, the hides weren't really that full at any time though.

Any way a pleasant day weather wise, then the southerly wind freshened and heavy rain and hail for about 30 minutes was the order of the day.
A lesser pecker was seen along the salwarp at the back of the west hide.
This apart very quiet
species counts (Moors)
GCG 4, Cormorant 30, Shoveler 12, Teal 60, shelduck, Pochard 9 (6 males), Tufted 25,
Curlew 17, Snipe 12, Lapwing 150, Herring gull ad, LBBG 2,
water rail in front of concrete hide, kingfisher east side, treecreepers along salwarp. coal tit along east track
B :)John

Last edited:
MOORS POOL
17 Curlew 8 Snipe c120 Lapwing 41 Cormorant 5 GC Grebe 1 Little Grebe 3 Grey Heron 3 Mute Swan 9 Pochard 25 Tufted Duck 11 Shoveler 32 Teal 127 Coot

3 Greylag Geese with Canadas in the campsite field; good numbers of common birds in the Education Reserve.

Last edited:
Hi Phil,i know this isn't a Upton related post but wonder if you could help me.i'm heading down south tomorrow for the Sparrow and Junco,it's a bit of a last minute thing and i havn't done much homework regarding locations,the Sparrow is no problem as i have postcodes but can't find much on the Junco,i noticed you'd been and wondered if you could help with directions especially place names that my tomtom will find(i havn't a clue with grid references)Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers Mick

Hi Phil,i know this isn't a Upton related post but wonder if you could help me.i'm heading down south tomorrow for the Sparrow and Junco,it's a bit of a last minute thing and i havn't done much homework regarding locations,the Sparrow is no problem as i have postcodes but can't find much on the Junco,i noticed you'd been and wondered if you could help with directions especially place names that my tomtom will find(i havn't a clue with grid references)Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers Mick

No worries Mick - will send you a PM

The Hairy Birder got a photo earlier which he will hopefully post; Bob Hart was heading down that way with his bazooka lens.

Hi Phil,

Here you go - only record shots I'm afraid but at least you can see it's a female. The bird appears to be totally oblivious to being watched which is nice - still difficult to get a decent shot due to branches getting in the way.:C

Also a shot of Teal - not quite up to Sy V's amazing shot the other week - I'll keep persevering!

Cheers,

Si

Attachments

• LSWoodpecker 2.jpg
    LSWoodpecker 2.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 118
  • LSWoodpecker 3.jpg
    LSWoodpecker 3.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 108
  • LSWoodpecker 1.jpg
    LSWoodpecker 1.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Teal 1.jpg
    Teal 1.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 93
Hi Phil,

Here you go - only record shots I'm afraid but at least you can see it's a female. The bird appears to be totally oblivious to being watched which is nice - still difficult to get a decent shot due to branches getting in the way.:C

Also a shot of Teal - not quite up to Sy V's amazing shot the other week - I'll keep persevering!

Cheers,

Si

Nice one Si - any shots of this illusive and overlooked species are always special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back