• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (8 Viewers)

Long day or what! Here are a couple of bird shots just to show that there was someone on the boil this morning... other than the two Great Crested Grebes who despite being at range (let's face it) aren't even dressed for the occasion!
I was about to take Phil to task about his sex ratio, then I realised that one drake Pintail is noticeably 'pin'less!... would that be a young bird, guys?

Great capture Sy:t:

Here are another couple of record shots 'cos Corvid Phil wouldn't let me leave the hide without pointing the camera at 'em!

Thanks for the feedback guys; much appreciated - seriously.

Attachments

• SD_filtered.jpg
    SD_filtered.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Raven_filtered.jpg
    Raven_filtered.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Sounds like todays work party was a great success again today, sorry I did'nt make it (again) we have so much uni work going on at the moment that there just was'nt the time.

Got two exams, a presentation and a wedding this week, so you could say it's all a bit hectic at the moment. I hav'nt even done a single days birding this year, my year list is only 18 lol, all from the window.

Oh well, all will return to normality soon :t:

Long day or what! Here are a couple of bird shots just to show that there was someone on the boil this morning... other than the two Great Crested Grebes who despite being at range (let's face it) aren't even dressed for the occasion!
I was about to take Phil to task about his sex ratio, then I realised that one drake Pintail is noticeably 'pin'less!... would that be a young bird, guys?

Two great photos Sy. Don't think I've ever seen Great Crested Grebes displaying in winter plumage:t:

Sounds like todays work party was a great success again today, sorry I did'nt make it (again) we have so much uni work going on at the moment that there just was'nt the time.

Got two exams, a presentation and a wedding this week, so you could say it's all a bit hectic at the moment. I hav'nt even done a single days birding this year, my year list is only 18 lol, all from the window.

Wouldn't worry about it Gav. Couldn't make it either courtesy of a shed roof that needed re felting :(

Gav
I think you were worried we were going to tie you to a tree and float you into the pool, that would have been your stag day treat.8-P
Have a great time mate, hope it goes well for you bothB :)John

Great White Egret just been reported at the Moors, but "may have flown off"... Nice early Year tick for you listing types though!

Last edited:
FAO John, just letting you know I got an A- for my presentation on Upton Warren :t: that's far better than I expected, cheers for all the help John, I will get all of the stuff you lent me back to you as soon as I'm back from my honeymoon, unless you would like me to try and get it to you this week sometime

Only A-! Should have got someone who knows what he's on about to help you!
Seriously, well done Gavo (and nice one with the help, JTB).

Great White Egret - Moors Pool

Seen from the west hide, came in low from the the north at approx 10.00 am being mobbed by a Grey Heron.

Landed in the west reed bed but was spooked by male Sparrowhawk; landed briefly on rail in front of hide then in Amey's marsh. Last seen to disappear in SW corner.

Dashed round to east hide but could not re-locate.

Attachments

• GWE1.jpg
    GWE1.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 103
  • GWE2.jpg
    GWE2.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 96
  • GWE3.jpg
    GWE3.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 98
FAO John, just letting you know I got an A- for my presentation on Upton Warren :t: that's far better than I expected, cheers for all the help John, I will get all of the stuff you lent me back to you as soon as I'm back from my honeymoon, unless you would like me to try and get it to you this week sometime

well done mate. No probs, go and have a good time :t:
when you get back can I have a copy of your upton article.

both of you have a 'gud en'B :)John

Seen from the west hide, came in low from the the north at approx 10.00 am being mobbed by a Grey Heron.

Landed in the west reed bed but was spooked by male Sparrowhawk; landed briefly on rail in front of hide then in Amey's marsh. Last seen to disappear in SW corner.

Nice one Alan and thanks for the text ( your number now on my list of contacts)
B :)John

I visited the Flashes mid-morning and can give you an exact count of the birds there: not one, not a gull nor a duck. However, there were 4 or 5 men working. I asked the inevitable question and was told that they didn't know but hoped it would be by the end of January. What is a builder's hope worth?

Peter

I visited the Flashes mid-morning and can give you an exact count of the birds there: not one, not a gull nor a duck. However, there were 4 or 5 men working. I asked the inevitable question and was told that they didn't know but hoped it would be by the end of January. What is a builder's hope worth?

Peter

Be fair, this is cutting edge construction using bespoke materials, challenging the established laws of engineering..Was Kevin Mccloud there, making the new series of Grand Designs ?

Great pics Alan:t:

Nice one Alan - species #74 for the year. GWE appear common as muck now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back