• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Speaker recommendation (1 Viewer)

That's what I use, they're very good! Would suggest you to tape the switch/volume dial to off though, has a horrible habit of turning itself on. That's of course, if like me, you just carry kit loose in a bag.

I have tried and broken a few speakers and struggled to find any (that aren't specific to an i-phone and therefore 100euros) with decent volume. Took a bit of a punt when I saw this (dropped mine off a viewing platform in the Ebro in October) and really happy when I tested it!!

Thanks for the heads up on the tape.

The radioshack still are not perfect: a lot of distortion and contact points will corrode in the tropics (I now use my 3rd pair, but this time as back-up).
I mainly use the Imaingo, and even though they are less loud (they are on/of, no gain in the loudspeaker), you can work around this by adding additional gain to the mp3 with audio software .

If you are prepared to carry a somewhat larger speaker (14x11x6 cm), the Marshall MS-2 is pretty loud (it's a guitar speaker amp) - especially in overdrive. It's cheap and weighs next to nothing.

Hi, all -
For my first go at a sound system for the field, I took the advice of another North Carolina birder and bought a refurbished 3rd Gen iPod Nano and paired it with a Creative Travelsound i80 speaker (http://www.amazon.com/Creative-TravelSound-Speaker-Dock-iPod/dp/B0016P15E8). Though I had troubles with the Nano, I eventually got a model that worked and the system seems very compact (shirt pocket sized) and adequately loud. I like the fact that there are no cables to tangle or connect and both units have rechargeable batteries built in.
The speaker cost $13 shipping included since they are no longer being produced. It might be good insurance to buy a second speaker at that price.
The Nano was $55 from Game Stop, including a two year warranty. On returning the second Nano whose screen froze, I found out that Game Stop sells Class "B", which is what I was first given and Class "A" refurbished models. For my troubles, my third Nano was upgraded free to a Class "A" and the manager also gave me a another upgrade to a 8GB vs a 4. It sometimes pays to be camly patient!
I'm headed to Costa Rica in less than two weeks so performance in tropical humidity will be put to the test.

Steve

Following up on my last post, I returned from my trip very satisfied with the equipment I previously described. Of the 14 days I spent in Costa Rica, 11 had rain. I was fairly protective of this unit, being cautious because of my previous troubles but never had a playback problem. My concerns for moisture related issues then were unnecessary. The Creative Sound speaker has no power level indicator so when the unit loses its charge, it will die unexpectedly. It then became routine to charge it regularly. The quality or volume of the playback depends on both the recording itself and the speaker unit. I found when the quality of the recording was adequate, the sound produced by the Creative Sound speaker was more than acceptable for playback purposes.
The click wheel on the Nano is a bit tricky to manage. It is very responsive to the touch and if you have fingers like mine, somewhat thickened and dull from decades of carpentry work, I had some frustrating moments trying to position the indicator on the correct selection. Choosing that selection by pushing the center button often made the Nano jump to the adjacent selection, sometimes resulting in playing the call of an Ornate Hawk-Eagle instead of a Orange-billed Nightengale-Thrush. This may not be a problem with those who are more used to using the iPod Nano wheel.
The speaker covers the back of the unit, the volume wheel on the side with an on/off button and a hole for a computer connection. At 2.25 (5.7c) by 4 (10.2C) inches and just under 1 inch (2c) thick, it fits any pocket without projections or protruding cords.
The charging system is more bulky than I'd like for traveling but I keep my travel items down to just carry-on luggage so space is more a concern than many travelers.

Steve

Attachments

• Ipod Nano and Speaker.jpg
    Ipod Nano and Speaker.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 219
Has anyone tried wireless speakers? I rather like the idea of placing a speaker beneath a tree then retreating a short distance to watch, controlling the playback from the watch point.

Has anyone tried wireless speakers? I rather like the idea of placing a speaker beneath a tree then retreating a short distance to watch, controlling the playback from the watch point.

Not with wireless speakers, but I have the Edirol R-09hr mp3 player, which comes with a (very small) wireless remote control, so you can achieve the same result with a wired speaker. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug08/articles/edirolr09hr.htm

I been using this brand for few years now and only available at selected airports and airlines http://www.lifetrons.ch/?lid=2#!4

And recently I bought the stereo cable and connects both speakers hehehe

Do you have the II or the III type? The drum bass II is considerably cheaper (presently comes with an additional sale reduction), so I wonder whether that would be fine. It's the one with the s-shaped protection across the speaker opening.

Last edited:
Are Radioshack speakers still available? I did have two but they are now broken (volume dial came off) but still have 7 9V batteries left! Awaiting reply from ornithomedia but fear the speakers may have become a museum item.

Hi all
Just bought one of these. Am I doing something wrong. The phone speaker is actually louder than the capsule so I actually get a volume reduction with speaker plugged in ?

Anyone using this speaker attached to a phone successfully?
Thanks
Dave

Yes I got one too. It's a bit louder than my phone but not much. Anyone got a current recommendation?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back