• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ330 An Idiot's Guide (1 Viewer)

RussB

Going for Gold
Hi!
Not been on BF for some time and then it was all on the art forum. Just got a second hand FZ330 to take record shots, holiday pics and back up for my main passion - field sketching. I've been looking through the threads about this camera and it's obviously well capable of much more than I'm using it for at the moment. Hopefully someone could point me in the right direction about a couple of things?
Only using Intelligent Auto
1, Am I better sticking to the 600mm length than going double? Image quality seems not to deteriorate at 1200mm, but should this be right? I've tried the EX zoom but the quality does deteriorate quite noticeably.
2, I haven't a clue about ISO's, shutter speeds etc so is there a 'basic' point where to start from? I understand IA is okay but has it's limitations.
3. I'm using a Sandisk 64gb ultra SDHC at the moment. Is the quality of the card important, and if so is there any particular type you recommend?
4. Got a trip to Scandinavia coming soon and so not having lots of time to observe and sketch I'm hoping the camera will record some decent images. Expecting lots of low light so are there any particular tips for using it in these conditions?

I don't want to sound like I'm wanting everything on a plate here without putting I the hours like many of you guys, but If you could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
Many thanks for your time.

Cheers
Russ

The main point i would pick from your list is ISO and shutter speed.

The two things are part of the exposure triangle which includes the aperture,basically you can have different combinations of the three but still get correct exposure.

The higher the ISO you use the more chance you see of getting noise/grain in your image but it often means your shutter speed would be higher so less chance of camera shake or subject blur due to subject movement.

You may find it a help to try different ISO settings on the same subject to find the highest you are happy with,armed with this figure you could possibly use auto ISO as with that as the highest limit.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back