• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hortobágyi and Kiskunsági NP (1 Viewer)

Hello, Bird-Friends! :)

I am planning a birdwatching trip in early August to Hortobágyi puszta (I am staying in Hajdúszoboszló), with possible stops and even 1-2 night stay in Kiskunság, probably in Bugyi or Apaj. My target species are Red-footed Falcon (Falco vespertinus), Roller (Corracias garrulus), Collared Pratincole (Glareola pratincola), Squacco Heron (Ardeola ralloides), and Stone-Curlew (Burhinus oedicnemus).
I would be very thankful if someone could give me a recommendation of good places where is a chance to see these species (of course also some other interesting birds), possibly also to photograph them.
Thank you in advance for your answers!

Richard Schnurmacher

I went to Hortobagy in August a couple of years ago. Red-footed Falcon was pretty common on the steppe and I saw a few Squacco Herons at the fishponds complex at Halasto. Did not see the other species listed but sure others can help.

I was there in September 2015, check out my report under 'Vacational Trip Reports' by entering "Hungary" in the search box.

On Route 33 around Hortobagy, at the "Kaparo Csarda" café restaurant, take the turn towards Nagyivan, after 5.2km take a left turn along a wide mud track that runs adjacent to a white farm fence (maybe not if has been raining heavily). Along this track I had superb views of a number of Red-foots hunting over the shortgrass. They are also said to roost close to the café "Kaparo Csarda".
I also had around 10 Red-foots along the back roads near Balmazujvaros.

I only had one Roller over 4 days, so not sure how common they are.

On Route 33, do check out the area bu KM20, where you can pull onto a farm track. Sakers often use the nest boxes here.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back