• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sounds from the Night Garden (1 Viewer)

Torchepot

United Kingdom
Voices from the Night Garden

Things are slowing down a bit now with the colder weather but still getting some interesting stuff

Here's some Cranes from the night before last, about 9 seconds in there's a young bird giving their little squeak - and a couple more faint ones further on.

View attachment Cranes with young.mp3

Cranes with young.jpg

Last edited:
I could hear a few squeaks. Are those birds flying over, or roosting nearby?

The big flock was in the afternoon so there's a lot of background calls of small birds n our garden. The small flock was at night so it's easier to pick out the youngster.

:t:

Another mystery call

View attachment strange mammal call.mp3

First thoughts - it must be a mammal surely? Too loud for a bat?

strange mammal call.jpg

Possible candidates in our garden are fox, pine marten or dormouse.

Haven't heard a peep out of the dormice for a couple of weeks though - since weather got colder (and it doesn't match any of the hundreds of calls I've recorded so far).

Another mystery call

View attachment 646249

First thoughts - it must be a mammal surely? Too loud for a bat?

View attachment 646250

Possible candidates in our garden are fox, pine marten or dormouse.

Haven't heard a peep out of the dormice for a couple of weeks though - since weather got colder (and it doesn't match any of the hundreds of calls I've recorded so far).

Searching through glis recordings this is the closest

Glis versus mystery.jpg

Similar enough for me to think it must be one virtually sitting on the microphone - can't see what else it could be really.

Cranes still going over - now up to 17 flocks since 27th Oct - interestingly about twice as many recorded at night than during daylight. More evidence of young with these later flocks too.

View attachment cranes with two young calls.mp3

I was a bit worried when I heard this - heavy breathing in the garden!! Pretty sure it's a badger though as the lawn always looks like it's been rotavatored after they visit. Not sure why it's making this noise though?

View attachment Badger.mp3

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back