• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your 2017 Optics Year in Review (1 Viewer)

BruceH

I thought it would be interesting to hear fellow members reflect on their optics year just ending. The most obvious topic would be purchases but feel free to add anything with an optics tie-in for 2017. Many have posted during the year but it would be nice to see a summarized refresher and to hear of any new thoughts.

Here are some possible topics:
- Purchases: What was the attraction, how did it work out.
- Sold: Reason for selling, any regrets.
- Optics passed: Optics you seriously considered but took a pass.
- Special memorable views.
- Optics related trips: Local or other extended adventures, optics show, etc
- Any other special moments or Comments: First binocular outing with a son or daughter, grandchild. Presentation on optics at a club, a memorable discussion about optics, etc.

Let me get it started.

Purchases

I started 2017 saying to myself that there is really nothing else I wanted to get. Well, I ended up eating those words.

- GPO 8X32 ED: The wide FOV of 426 ft in a lower priced 8X42 is somewhat unique and that was the appeal. I posted a review on it in the GPO sub forum. A most excellent binocular for the class with a nice wide FOV, good styling and handling and nice quality. My only issue is the extended eye cups are a little shorter than I prefer.

- Bushnell Legend M 8X42 and 10X42: Lee posted a nice review earlier on the Legend M 8X42. Then Allbino's did a review and put out a transmission graph that indicated the binocular had a very neutral color balance. That is what caught my interest. The 10X42 became available as a deal of the day on Amazon so I bought. It is a very nice binocular and I added my comments to Lee's review in the Bushnell forum. The 8X42 then became available as a special sale from Rogers Sporting Goods eBay store and I went for it because of the success with the 10X. Both do have a very close to neutral color balance.

- Nikon Aculon 8X42: I have read good things about the Aculon line but had never checked it out. After seeing it go on sale for $31 bucks and some good feedback from Barry, I figured why not. The ultimate plan is to pass it on to my nephew for his kids to use. Right now it is just a little to big for them. The price ultimately went down to $22. It has a nice FOV and an excellent center view as good as models costing hundreds more. It is no SF but it would be an excellent choice for a serious birder wanting to get a very good view but not spend much money. At $22, it has to be the best value to price I have ever seen.

- Opticron Imagic BGA VHD 10X42 and Tract Toric 10X42:
There has been a lot of discussion over the last year or so about the Kamakura based sub alphas. I already had a Zeiss Conquest HD 10X42 and have wondered how these new similar entries compared. There are posts indicating the Imagic and the Toric share a common heritage and that caught my interest along with looking for a couple of better vehicle binoculars. Opticron promotions are not that common on this side of the pond so when the IMagic became available as part of the Eagle closeout, I asked myself what would Chuck do, and bought it. Not to long after, Tract had a nice offering on the Toric and I bought it too. Overall, I think the Zeiss Conquest is superior in various areas to the Imagic and Toric, but not by much. I consider these two to be twins in different clothing. They are very close. There are still some comparisons I want to complete and then I may write something up with more detail. They are both keepers and I really enjoy using them.

- Nikon Monarch HG 8X42: This is another one of the sub alphas that has a lot to offer for a price much below the top tier models. The wide FOV was the initial appeal but now that I have it I think the small size and light weight for a 42mm is the most unique feature about it. It makes you smile every time you pick it up. It is a very nice binocular and there is nothing that I do not like about it.

- Opticron Traveller BGA ED 8X32: I have been looking for the "perfect" small and light weight 8X32 occasional hiking binocular. I have a Nikon Monarch 7 8X30 which is very nice but the extended eye cups are not quite long enough for me making eye placement more difficult. My other hiker is the Cabela's Guide 8X32 with has great eye placement but it is just a little less optically than the Nikon. The Traveller looked like it could be the best of both and so I picked it up during the Black Friday period. Unfortunately my particular unit looks to have an issue with the right barrel that prevents me from getting a sharp focus and so it has to go back. I did physically compare it to the Nikon Monarch 7 and they are basically the same. The objectives of the Traveller appear to be about a 1.5mm or so larger in diameter. I decided against doing an exchange because like the Nikon, the eye cups are to short for me to get comfortable eye placement. Second, it is basically like the Nikon I already have so it has no added value or appeal for me. Instead I was willing to exchange it for ...........

- Opticron Natura 8X32 BGA ED: Optics Planet was agreeable to give me the same (but by then expired) discount on the Natura so why not. It looks to be based on the Leupold BX-3 Cabela's Guide with I like but with upgraded ED glass. My one concern is the smaller FOV. It is being dropped shipped from Opticron USA which is closed until the beginning of January so I will have more to say next year.

Sales

There are a bunch I should sell but the only model I recall selling is the Nikon SE 8X32 to another forum member. The main reason for letting it go was I almost never used it. My main interest in getting it was to use as a reference binocular. However most posts now make few comparisons to the SE and I do have a solid memory of how it preforms. Roofs work best for me but I do appreciate the qualities of a good Porro view and decided to stay with the Nikon 8X30 EII as it seems to best demonstrate all the good attributes of a Porro. It would have been nice to have kept it but no regrets. It deserves to get used rather than sitting on the self.

I have an Alpen Apex 12X50 that an acquaintance wanted to buy, but after several phone calls, he has not come by to get it. It is a great binocular for the money but I just do not use it after finally getting a Swaro 12X50 a couple of years ago.

Optics Pasted Up

The Leica Noctivid has to go to the top of the list. I have looked through the 10X twice and the 8X once. The main issue for me was I just was unable to get a comfortable eye placement again due to the eye cups being on the short side for the eye relief. The optics are spectacular but I do not think they are superior to the Zeiss SF or Swaro EL. I think all are different but equivalent and it comes down to personal preferences. The biggest noticeable difference is color balance. I also did not get the enhanced 3D effect that many have observed. Beats me why. I wonder if it may be due to differences in IPD. I will continue to check out the Noctivid whenever I get the chance. Leica was supposed to come out with something to extend the eye cups but I have not seen it.

Memorable Views:

Most of the birds out here in the desert are various shades of brown. It is not Costa Rica when it comes to color! Winter is great because the water fowl return and we do get a few colorful ducks. One is the Hooded Merganser and I got a nice long and close look at several of them last January. I do see them once in a while but I never got such a great view as this. It was one of those days you hope for when looking at birds. I believe I was using the Zeiss Conquest HD 10X42 so it was a very nice view!

The other outstanding observation was a series over several days during a trip to the White Mountains of Arizona. This is high forest country with some beautiful large meadows. I saw the normal elk, deer, antelope and turkeys. What made this special was in a period of about three days I also observed some gray wolves, a black bear, big horn mountain sheep and a fox. I have gone years without seeing any of these in my many trips and to see them all in one trip is totally unexpected.

Trips and Shows

There were just a couple of trips this year out of town but all were within Arizona. Most of my birding was at local spots, especially the Gilbert Water Ranch riparian. Birding is always good there because there are lot of birds, a lot of variety and you can get close looks because they are used to the people. The one show I attended was put on by the Tucson Audubon Society and it was represented by Zeiss, Swaro, Opticron and Leica. It was a good time and great discussing optics with the various vendors.

Other Comments:

This has been a great year on the Forum where I gotten to know some new folks and to know others even better.

That is it for 2017. I will try to remember to start a second thread next week discussing plans for 2018!

Anyone else have some highlights they would like to share? Use whatever format works. It does not have to be anything structured.

Last edited:
Bought a Swarovski Habicht WGA 10x40 and a Bushnell Legend 'M' 10x42. Also bought an Opticron MM3 w/HDF zoom ep. Recently ordered a 2nd-hand Leica APO Televid w/zoom instead. Have to sell my beautiful Meopta because I'm finding things harder to carry. I sold a few things, a straight coral Nikon Ed50 w/27x, I know I sold a few binos but off the top of my head I can't remember what they were! Gave away a couple of pairs too, including a Binolyt Butterfly MC reverse-porro and a Bushnell Trophy 8x32.

Last edited:
Purchases

Picked up an exc+ Swarovski ATS65HD 20-60 eyepiece with SOC all boxed for under £500, I still pinch myself sometimes when using it, doubt I`ll ever better that deal.

The Victory SF in black is an itch I may need to scratch.

Most memorable view this year was the 20+ Hawfinches at Haldon forest.

Purchases

Picked up an exc+ Swarovski ATS65HD 20-60 eyepiece with SOC all boxed for under £500, I still pinch myself sometimes when using it, doubt I`ll ever better that deal.
Superb! Get yourself a 25-50ep to go with that, you won't regret it!

Edit: Special observation moments with whatever optic....a Rose-Coloured Starling appeared in an apple-tree outside my window while on holidays in West Clare. Today, two otters trotted across a field and into a lagoon at a local site, and frolicked, fished, ate, climbed in and out of the water, and teased a heron, giving me half an hour of pure enjoyment.

Last edited:
"What would Chuck DO?" WWCD? HAHA! LOL! Pretty funny Bruce! I'm not the best example of a frugal consumer am I? I'm terrible.... But YES...that IS what I would have done!

That's a really nice write up! I enjoyed reading it! OK....here goes....

PURCHASES

Leica Noctivid 10X42 and later 8X42- The 10X42 was basically to replace a 10X42 HT that I actually DID SELL. I have absolutely nothing but good to say about the 10X42. For an eyeglass wearer I feel these are the cat's meow. Super eye relief. Focus is EDG II good. I haven't used the 8X42 as much but hopefully more of the same.

Leica Ultravid HD+ 7X42- Probably tied for my favorite binocular I purchased this year. Used it a LOT. No shortcomings I can find whatsoever. Size/weight is a high point.

Meopta B.1 7X42- A nice binocular. No real shortcomings except for weight and eyecups that are either fully collapsed or extended. Really nice focus.

Swarovski CL Companion 8X30- Probably the biggest surprise of the year. I looked thru them at Magee Marsh for the first time. WOW! Just used them Christmas day birding with my brother.... My brother brought his Zeiss 8X30s(Hungary) and I had the CL 8X30. He couldn't get on the birds so I swapped him. SOLD! He loved them! I think the CLs are an awesome binocular!

Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32- SECOND biggest surprise of the year. Used them Sunday after my Bro confiscated by CL 8X30s. GREAT binocular. Focus adjustment is super. The best 8X30/32 I have next to the SV 8X32.

Nikon Monarch HG 8X42- WHOA! Short and sweet....I don't know how one could get a better 8X42 birding binocular than this. Small, lightweight, huge FOV, great focus adjustment, and great optics! Less than $900 bucks...

SALES

AAAAHHHHMMMM....not as much as it SHOULD have been. I sold the Tract Toric 8X42 and the Zeiss HT 10X42. I'll probably have some stuff later for sale.

OPTICS PASSED UP

NOT MUCH!

Zeiss SF 10X42... I probably won't get it. I like the Noctivid 10X42 enough to keep it.

MEMORABLE VIEWS

Wow! I had a great year birding! Seeing a glossy ibis 20 miles from my house was pretty great! Burrowing owl in Aruba is awesome! I've had so many great birding trips this year....hard to pinpoint which was best.

- Purchases: Swaro Pocket 8x25 to replace the stolen Zeiss Victory 8x20mm when parked at Safeway Fisherman's Wharf San Fran. Swaro SV8x32 after falling in love with that "immersive" experience wiht the Pocket 8x25,
- Sold: Vortex Crossfire 10x42 not using it as it was my first entry level bino. Zeiss Terra 8x42, not using as I fell in love with the Swaro SV 8 x32.
- Optics passed: Zeiss FL8x32 colour rendition was a bit cold for for me. Leica UHD_ 8x32 The colours are nice, but they seem fake. Was a extremely hard choice to not get these vs the Swaros as the Leica are so well made.
- Special memorable views: was at Mac Ritchie reservour looking out for king fishers. Was scanning the water and this beautiful frog was just staring back at me. He was perfectly blended into his environment and the clarity from the Swaros SV8x32 was as if i was in front of him.
- Any other special moments or Comments: Loosing my Zeiss Victory 8x20 was a bad thing, but also a good thing. Why good?, Well I got 110% seduced to the darkside, known as Swarovski. Who knows what 2018 may hold, Noctovids 8x32????

Have a safe and happy new year everyone!

Great thread Bruce. With your permission though, I will side-step the buying of new binos during my year and tell a different story.

My big experiment was to go on a three week expedition to the Scottish Western Isles with a bunch of 32mm binos and no 42mm bins at all. I had been gradually getting closer to the idea that 32s could do just about everything for me and of course be a lighter and more compact package to carry but to test this out I felt I needed to leave the 42s at home otherwise I would be tempted to use them. Troubadoris has relied on 32s now for quite a few years so this wasn't really such a step into the unknown, but you know, when we were packing all our kit ready for setting off on the 550 mile journey to North Uist, it felt weird leaving all the 42s on the shelf.

To make it more fun I took a whole bunch of them: Meopta MeoStar B1 8x32, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, Kowa Genesis 8x33, Leica Trinovid HD 8x32, Zeiss Terra ED 8x32.

It worked out fine and I never pined for a 42. We made new behaviour observations of Otters, got just as many great views of Sea Eagles and Golden Eagles, had a few super surprises that the 32s made the most of like Grey Plover at about 25 metres and in full breeding plumage.

A few weeks later we went to Islay for 3 weeks and I took the more normal mix of 42s and 32s but my FL 8x32 did a bigger share of the work than usual.

As well as enjoying the all-round competence of these 32s, the whole experience brought home how different they all are in character. They are all great binos but they each feel different in the hand and in the feel of the focus, the fit of the eyecups against my spectacles and the view that they produce. No wonder it is possible for us to have a divergence of opinions about all the different binos, taking a different one out each day was like stepping out with a different companion.

As for the rest of my year I remain astounded at the level of finish and fit achieved by GPO at their prices, and testing two Opticrons really brought home to me why this brand is the one I see most frequently in my local nature reserves: on a performance for price assessment they are tremendous value for money.

Thanks to Bruce for starting off this great thread!

Lee

Last edited:
Greetings all.

Bruce... a grand idea! Thanks.

I've been using my Carl Zeiss Victory FL 8x42 since 2008. This fall, at the Audubon Shop in Madison, Connecticut, I did brief side-by-side comparison of a SV 8.5x42, a Noctivid 8x42, and a Zeiss Victory SF 8x42. The NV gave a spectacular view, but just didn't feel good in hand (my measure for all hand tools). I put it down perhaps too quickly based on that. The SV.... well, we all know the view is great and the ergonomics are superior. Given the all the factors combined, the Zeiss was clearly the best. Absent a windfall, however, I'm holding onto my FL's.

Last year I read "Feathers" by Thor Hanson (a good read). Hanson cited the works of Richard O. Prum and mentioned his experiences with him. I was fascinated. This year, my son (who works at Yale), gave me a copy of Prum's new book, "The Evolution of Beauty" and had it signed and inscribed by the author (who has a feather on his office door). Another good read.

Michael

Binoculars purchased:
Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED. Bought these in Feb 2017 for an 8 year-old. Hasn't been a good experience thus far. Binoculars were faulty, were returned immediately for replacement. New unit was also faulty, so returned for replacement. Waiting now on a second replacement. Hoping to get a good unit before my young friend is 10 years old :(

Binoculars used:
Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV (among last production of the nonFP), Zeiss 8x32 FL, Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL, Browning 8x32.

Great moments:
Nice trips to Yellowstone/Tetons, Guatemala, and other places, but my favorite place to bird is where I live. Started keeping a checklist for Lyon County, Kansas, about 6 months after moving here, and now, after two years, have found 244 species in the county. I'll be satisfied if I can break 250 next year.

--AP

Good posts here. It is interesting reading the explanation of why some optics were bought, sold or passed.

The Hawkfinches mentioned by Torview was new to me so I had to Google it and found out it was a rare bird. That explains the excitement and it is a good looking bird at that. Here is an article saying they invaded the UK in much larger numbers this month due to poor crops in Germany and elsewhere. Now is the time to find flocks!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...-birds-flock-britain-thousands-crop-failures/

I know what Alex means when he said his favorite birding area is his home area. The Gilbert Water Ranch that I mentioned in the original post is world known and most anyone doing a North America Big Year makes at least one stop there. I am only 40 minutes away!

Lee, I do remember your otter trip with the 32 mm models but I did not pick up that is was 32mm only. That is a trip with a twist. After reading Sancho's post on seeing some otters today, maybe you should pay him a visit.

Chuck, my signature got old a long time ago. Maybe I should change it starting in 2018 to "WWCD - What would Chuck do?"! Your comments on the Noctivid makes me keep looking.

sbb - Welcome to the dark side.

I have to agree with Michael that the 8X42 Zeiss SF is a winner.

I know Steve C had quite a year with a slew of optics. It would be neat to see a list. I think Ceasar picked up at least a Nikon Monarch HG. Dennis just did a Costa Rica trip but I am not sure what he used. Frank D attended several shows and we have a bunch of new members that posted some good stuff over the year.

Though I have been an avid binocular user for many years, until late 2016 my primary application was astronomy. So 2017 was really my first year birding, and essntially everything was a lifer! Coming into 2017 I was equipped with a couple brand new birding guides, a Sightron II 8x32 binocular, and an Opticron MM3 60 spotting scope with an HDF 15-45 zoom eyepiece. Somehow Santa knew about my new interest.

Purchases:
Maven B3 8x30 I used the Maven loaner program to try their B3 8x30, B3 6x30, and B2 9x45. The mechanics and feel of all three Maven binoculars were impressive. The view through the B2 was amazing and it handled well, but I was concerned that it was just too heavy for regular use (see below as I was wrong). I liked the compactness of the B3 and decided on the 8x to bring out a little more detail. The eye relief on the B3 is not great, but I do not wear glasses when using binoculars. When I travel by air, or travel with my spotting scope, I bring the B3. Also, if birding is not the primary focus for an outing, if the terrain is particularly arduous, or if I am packing additional weight, then the B3 is my first choice. It is so compact it's easily pocketable, and the view is remarkably bright for a 30mm glass.

Maven B2 9x45 I went to the San Diego Bird Festival in February and I was able to look through some high end binoculars. I was very tempted by the Zeiss SF 8x42 and I still am, but at that point I wasn't ready to pay the alpha price for the alpha binocular. Also, both the Leica and the Zeiss were only a few ounces lighter than the Maven B2, so I started to regret having returned the B2 a month earlier. In March a B2 in excellent condition came available here at a good price and I jumped on it. The 9x45 is easily my favorite and most used binocular. I carry it on a RYO harness and I don't find the weight to be a problem at all in regular use.

Cabela Guide 8x32 I visited my first Cabelas while up in Oregon for the eclipse in August. I was curious about the Leupold Mojave BX-3, but they were sold out. I bumped into the Guide 8x32 and was very impressed with both the performance and the price ($150). It seemed comparable to my Sightron 8x32 and I wanted a second binocular in that size and price range so I bought the Guide. When I got it home I found it bests the Sightron optically, but after going back and forth a bit I marginally prefer the Sightron because of ergonomics and general comfort in use. Still I think the Guide is an excellent binocular at this price and I can see why some prefer it (and the Mojave) to the Sightron.

Memorable Optics Events
San Diego Bird Festival in February. Not only did I see many new species of birds, I was able to look through some amazing glass--both spotting scopes and binoculars.

Oregon Total Eclipse in August The experience of totality was quite amazing for humans as well as for birds and fish. It was my first experience of a total eclipse and we were close enough to the center line to have almost two minutes of totality. I brought my spotting scope fitting with a glass solar filter, and my Maven B3 8x30 binoculars with no filters for watching wildlife during the approach of totality and for viewing the corona and prominences during totality.

Local Birding Events. I am very lucky to have both excellent birding spots and experienced birders locally. There are two birding groups that each have weekly outings in addition to the local Audobon tours and tours organized by conservancy groups. Of course in California local can sometimes mean a great distance, but I have Madrona Marsh 3 miles away, Ballona Wetlands 9 miles away, and Bolsa Chica Wetlands about 25 miles away.

Best/Worst Local Sighting I was lucky enough to see a lone Pacific Golden Plover that had been reported at Dockweiler State Beach, along with two Black Bellied Plovers and quite a few Snowy Plovers that had been breeding there. Unfortunately, as a rookie, I reported it at an American Golden Plover, but was quickly corrected by more seasoned birders online.

Best Swarm Literally thousands of terns breeding at Bolsa Chica this summer. I thought they looked like Elegant Terns, but see Best/Worst sighting above. Second best was a feeding frenzy at Bolsa Chica that included a dozen White Pelikans, 50 Snowy Egrets, a couple dozen Double Crested Cormorants, six Forster's Terns, and a few gulls harassing the terns in mid flight.

Here is my (rather brief) 2017 Optics year in review ..... :cat:

Time for birding (and indeed relaxation even):
Scant.

Trials:
Many, though sadly not the long awaited Leica NoctiVid ...... :-O

Tribulations:
Too many for my liking ! :eek!:

Purchases:
Nil. :t:

Sales:
Nil. 3:)

Regret of the Year:
Passing up on a ~ $2K AUD Nikon D500 while waiting for the D850 ..... grrrrrrr !

Bargain of the Year:
Bushnell Legend M for ~ $160 USD !!! :king:

Welcome to the Zen Rayish fold all those who jumped on this particular bargain ! :) ...... how's that outrageously wild pincushion distortion treatin' ya ?? :hippy: :bounce:

Surprise of the year:
2 really .....
1. Swarovski 10x32 SV - tried this as it was recommended to me as widely used by Special Ops forces here in Oz (there that should get me some street cred amongst all you bloodthirsty blammers and Bambi killers!). A bit of a revelation. Same fantastic (if small sized) ergonomics, but I normally would have written it off due to the 3.2mm exit pupil. That would've been a big mistake! Same ease of view as the 8x32, and surprisingly bright on a dull day. With the wide Fov and great ER it is a total winner (especially in the lovely tan colour) ..... and of course it is used by the SAS with all the chest hair, jargon, and trouser enhancement that kind of thing offers ! :-O
2. Nikon Monarch HG - again something I might have written off due to the single bridge ergonomics, but I was looking forward to it due to its light weight and wide Fov. That again would have been a big mistake. In a word, the ergonomics - sensational. The light weight - overdue and extremely welcome. The view - very nice. The Zeiss SF is hard to justify for 2 or 3x the price. I think the MHG is the perfect all round offering. In fact I'd say that only 3 price/performance tiers exist.
(i) Bushnell M/ Zen-Ray ED3
(ii) Nikon MHG
(iii) Whatever high priced Alpha floats your boat.
Of course if your lucky enough to have a Habicht or Nikon SE that you get along with, then that's fine too.

A special mention Big Raspberry to the Optics Retailer at the BirdFair who tried to do me a 'show only' special on a brand new MHG for $1500 !!

Fail of the Year:
Zeiss SF. $30 eye cups on a $3000 binocular. For shame.

Disappointment of the Year:
The no show of the Leica NoctiVid at the Australasian BirdFair, and indeed the complete no show of any photography gear makers/ sellers. Boooooo.

MIA ..... Still ......
Where the bl**dy hell are the 32mm HT glass upgrade to the FL ? , The 32mm SF ?? , and indeed the 50mm SF ???

Full on D**k of the Year:
No not DJT, though he tried very hard at times ..... but a certain BF member (who, if I ever go to the Reno Air Races, I will make a deliberate point of not looking up ! :)
This pompous b*ll end is 'driving so slowly in the ultra fast lane' that he makes some of the more egregious and ornery inhabitants of bino world here look positively like Michael Schumacher (before he went skiing)

Emojis:
Maximal - Full Count !!!! :)

I hope you all had a very merry Christmas and have a happy 2018 :)

Chosun :gh:

2017 in Review

Bruce here goes.

I got back into my bino viewing this year, I was spending a lot of time at work outside, not writing as many reports, or reviewing reports and blasting e-mail.

All my glass were IF porros, save a couple Zeiss Jena centerfocus 8X50s.

I reviewed many forums, this one mostly and came away with some info on the original Nikon Hg series, the original LX venturers, many on here have likely sold theirs if they got them new in the early 2000s. Well I procured very lightly used HGs 8 & 10X32 and a 10X42. I truly love the glass on bright days, the flat view to the edge, and the color rendition. All are almost brand new as if not used at all, and were procured for less than full retail price, some even less. IMHO one of the best solid built commercial binos.

I also procured a couple of EIIs 8X32 and a SE 8X32, which being a porro person initially can say that they are the best porros I have viewed in that format, and I have used or viewed some of the best porros from Leica and zeiss over the years.

Nikon Monarch 8X42 - great glass, FOV, BRIGHT, AND GREAT CONTRAST. My favorite overall, it suits my needs as an all day glass and it is quite for early AM or PM viewing.

Lastly I was looking for another smaller 8X32, and decided on the FL 8X32, with the wide view and very bright in a small package, new it cost me 500 less than a new nikon EDG 8X32 II. So far I am very pleased with it, my most portable glass along with the EII. (Working on the color rendition)

None, but I will, when I get some back from Suddarth Optical in 2018.

Nikon EDG 8X32 - really liked the reviews, but cost was what made me decide on the FL, and there is always time to get one down the road. The production of FL will most likely end in 18, so it will be with me for the long haul.

I am looking to purchase down the road - thanks to Chuck for his visuals always, the EDG 8X42. This is by far my favorite format mag/obj, and with that and the Monarch HG 8X42 I will never need another glass, except ....perhaps the EDG 8X32, and the SF 8X42......you know how it goes.

In my back yard this year right after the snowfall in the south, red-tail hawks, woodpeckers, starlings, robins, sparrows of varying kinds - flew in and around around the backyard, all I had with me were my LXL 8X20s, and I just stood there still taking in the view, it lasted about two minutes and they were gone as quickly as they came in. Truly a WOW moment, and one that makes you feel how lucky you are to be alive and be in natures presence.

None, just local visits to my local nature center.

- Any other special moments or Comments: First binocular outing with a son or daughter, grandchild. Presentation on optics at a club, a memorable discussion about optics, etc.

I am very happy to have had the pleasure of conversation with the very fine people on this forum. It is truly the best forum out there, and being of Dutch heritage, I also enjoy the humor from across the pond very much. Additionally I do enjoy the banter reading the posts, some of you write exceptionally well.

I am looking forward to a great 18 and wish that for everyone here,

Regards,

Andy W.

Last edited:
Highlight was spotting a wild turkey, great egret and a great blue heron with grandson at a part in NOLA will visiting over Christmas.
Didn’t sell anything but gave away an Atlas Intrepid an an Eagle Denali.
Bought Kowa 8-33’s and accursed a n SF in 8-42. U was looking to buy some more but discovered that Bruce hadboughting evert hi good else.
Happy New Year all and I wish you good birds
Steve

Bought zeiss terra 8x25 and 3D spacewalker to see what the novelty was about (have not decided yet)

ordered 1/2 kowa highlander- the 883 and waiting.............

Sold fuji 25x150 , gave 6.5x21, 12x36, 7x50, and 10x40 to family members as not using much

less astro, more birds in future
edj

Last edited:
I'm primarily a birder, but I do enjoy using optics as a tool to enhance my experience of the natural world. That said, I've made a couple of purchases this year to satisfy my curiosity.

I sold my Zeiss FL 10x42's earlier in the year, absolutely incredible bins, but I wanted to free up some cash for other purchases. If I saw a pair of these again for a reasonable price, I'd likely pick them up. I bought a pair of Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt as an early 30th birthday present, as its always been on my list to try. These were a very clean example at a good price, but didn't have the p* coatings, and showed more CA than my ever-trusty SLC's so they had to go. I secured a very good deal on a pair of Nikon HGL 8x32's, which I've sent off for a service. These are very good bins, and will likely replace my partners Leica 8x32 ba's, due to their better eye relief, sharper image, better CA control and closer focusing.

My Swarovski SLC's have remained as my regular bins, perhaps I will treat them to a service next year as they are now starting to look a bit battered.

No purchases planned for 2018 (several birding trips and saving for a deposit) but I will likely test my Nikon ED82 against a Swaro ATS80HD to convince myself that its not worth an upgrade!

Not a bad birding year, finding a few local scarcities and one rarity (Yellow browed warbler, 4th record for Warwickshire) but the highlight was our trip to Uganda where we secured both of the Great Apes, as well as one of my bucket list birds, Shoebill. A morning birding along the Royal Mile in Budongo forest was one of my best experiences of rainforest birding, and I even secured Ituri batis, which puts me in a fairly exclusive number of observers who have seen this species in the wild.
Looking forward to a week in Morocco and a few weeks in Sri Lanka next year, which should secure my target of 20% of the worlds avifauna before I turn 31.

Happy new year.

Attachments

• 22104763_10156256502015348_140640312723492607_o.jpg
    22104763_10156256502015348_140640312723492607_o.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 22104787_10154654431558239_6902951228062487803_o.jpg
    22104787_10154654431558239_6902951228062487803_o.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 45
I forgot one highlight from two weeks ago. I went to the Pea Island NWR in the Hatteras National Seashore to chase the Snowy Owl that been seen on Friday and Saturday. Of course since I went sunday and it went unseen and hasn't been seen since, but in the large pond ( 250 to 300 acres) there were at least 1500 Tundra Swans. Apparently its one of their favorite wintering grounds. All those and Egrets Herons and other waterfowl made a very good three hours, well worth the three and a half hour drive each way.
Steve

Purchases
  • Celestron 10x42 Eclipsmart Solar Binoculars - I got these a bit on a lark for a solar eclipse trip I took this year to see full totality. They did the job, and were a little bit cooler than the paper glasses, owing to the magnification. Of course, the greatest moment of the eclipse was not looking through these, during the 2 minutes of totality. Fun fact--one of the people I was with wrote a story about the trip for Modern Love.
  • Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 / 10x25 - These things basically replaced my wife and I's Celestrons for most of our bird watching. They are optically clear, light, and fold up nicely. The price was reasonable, and we are both very happy with them. Having these around has made me think I might want to go bigger whenever I make my alpha purchase (maybe go for those 8x or 10x SLCs that are coming to America soon I hear)
  • Kowa TSN 883 - This was my big purchase from the EO closing. And wow. Just wow. This scope is nothing short of amazing. Bright, clear, powerful magnification. Ended up with the camera attachment too, which I must admit is only so-so compared to the stunning view out of these through the eyepiece. Fun to bring along to shorelines and other places you want to get some reach on birds across the lake/river/swamp. The case could use improvement, and I'm a bit jealous of the engineering that went into the Swaro case my friend uses for her scope. Ah well, can't have everything in life.

Lusted For, But Did Not Buy
  • Leica Noctivid 8x42 - I was very close to getting these when EO put everything on sale, but I held off because I wanted to try the Mavens. Tried these in the Leica store (went outside for a quick look at some Rock Pigeons) and was very impressed. Still, I was thinking that maybe I'd be willing to make less compromises on weight and get something better. So, I never ended up pulling the trigger.
  • Maven B.2 9x45 / 11x45 - Hearing the buzz about Mavens on the forum, I decided to demo two of the B.2s and found them to be quite superb. I considered keeping one of them, but I wasn't entirely sure about the CA control on them, and I also found my new Zeiss pockets so good that I thought it better to try to look through a few more optics before making a big purchase. Had I kept one of them, it probably would have been the 11x because I liked the extra reach.

Sales
None this year, but might end up selling my Celestron Trailseekers to a friend who wants something cheap and lighter than the (very nice) old Porros she found on Ebay.

Outlook
For 2018, I'm looking and reigning in spending a bit and focusing on saving money for early retirement. This means it may be a year of being happy with the optics I already have, which I think are pretty sufficient. We can keep around one of the Celestrons (probably the 8x and keep the 10x) for when we think we need a more light through the objective, and just use the Zeiss Terra EDs for everything else. We'll see how things go. It could be that I find enough money to splurge on a big Alpha, or one of the optically similar newcomers. If I can decide what pair would bring me the most enjoyment in the field.

Great thread idea Bruce!

Purchases

- Swarovski EL 8.5x42 FP: I had my eye on these for a long time and bought one immediately when I heard Eagle Optics was closing. I got a demo (but basically brand new) for less than $1950. I had tried these a few times before from friends at the local birding group. They are one of the only binoculars I have tried that I can push fully into my eye sockets and get no blackouts. I also really like the 8.5x magnification. It is a surprisingly noticeable difference over 8x, but very little FOV is sacrificed compared to 8x binoculars, other than outliers like the SF and EII. The view is sublime of course.

- Nikon EII 8x30: These are actually my wife’s binoculars. I bought them for her sight unseen from Japan and they are extraordinary. The unbeatable field of view and the 3D effect make viewing a very immersive experience. It is not sharp to the edge, but the sweet spot is quite large, and the edges are usable enough. The only real downside is a little more CA than my swarovski. We never bird in the rain, and if we get caught in some bad weather we usually head for the car, so the lack of waterproofing is not a huge issue for us. If I'd looked through a pair of these before buying my swaro, there is a good possibility I would have gotten the EII instead. Don't get me wrong, I still really like my swarovskis, but the price difference is a bit extreme.

Sales

Just my old 8x42 leupold.

Optics Passed Up

Zeiss 8x56 FL at EO, or the newly available in the US 8x56 SLC. The supposed optical nirvana of a large exit pupil binocular still interests me, but my practical mind is pushing the other way.

Memorable Views:

What I love about getting a new binocular this year is that even the common local species bring me excitement to look at. Of course the more memorable views have been my lifers. Off the top of my head: blue-headed vireo and Townsend’s warbler. Great birds.

Other Comments:

As expected, my ID skills haven’t gotten any better with new optics, but I like knowing that I have nothing to blame but myself from now on. 2018 will be focused on becoming a better birder!

Happy birding and happy new year everyone!

Here is my 2017 optics review:

I started the year with three pairs of binoculars, my very old and beat-up (but optically superb) Nikon 10x42 HG-L's, a set of 10x25 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD compacts, and of course my wonderful 8x32 Sightron Blue Sky II's.

After last season's elk hunt, I really wanted a pair of binoculars with a tripod adapter screw. I glass a LOT on my elk hunts, and not having this feature is a pain when I used my Nikons. But the image quality was so good that I was willing to put up with it for a few years. Following my 2017 hunt, I set out to find a replacement pair that featured a tripod adapter.

1st purchase: I happened across a great deal on a pair of Leupold Mojave 10x32's so I gave them a try. Loved the size and weight and operation. Only downsides were the loss of sharpness toward the edges and the poor light gathering, both of which you'd expect from a mid-priced 10x32. But I kept using them for most of the archery deer season and they performed well in that role.

2nd purchase were my new Maven 10x42 C1's. These I figured would be a legitimate replacement option for my Nikons, and currently they fill that role. Outstanding optical performance, but still working through some functional areas - particularly the eyecups that get bumped out of position way too easily. Otherwise, they are just what I was looking for to replace my Nikons.

3rd Purchase: I came across a used pair of Cabelas Outfitter 10x42 HD's at a price that seemed right. They are being delivered today, and could be considered my last purchase of 2017 or first of 2018. :D I think these are rebranded Eagle Optics Ranger HD's, but will report more on them later, after I've had a chance to give them a good field test. I may end up returning the Maven C1's because of the eyecups, and if I do I needed a backup pair of 10x42's.

1st pair: Sold my old and faithful Nikon 10x42 HG-L's after several years of good service. They were so beat up that I was losing rubber eyepiece coverings nearly every time out. I also wanted a lighter pair with a tripod adapter. I will miss that view however.

2nd pair: Sold my compact Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x25's because I just wasn't using them very much anymore. Optically they were very good though.

3rd pair: Sold the handy little Leupold Mojave 10x32's to fund my Maven purchase. These might be the only pair I "miss" but if I do I'll just reach for my Sightrons and everything will be okay. :D

A used pair of Alpen Raniers that sold for about 1/4 of their original price, but I just couldn't bear the thought of that 32 oz. weight around my neck.

I always enjoyed glassing from my truck window with my Nikon HG-L's. Their field of view, edge to edge sharpness and huge eye relief allowed me to set them in position and then just "look around" within the view for hours. If only they had a tripod adapter mount... (sigh)

Made a couple trips to Cabelas to look over their binoculars. Compared side by side a set of 10x42 Zeiss Conquests, Meopta Meostar, Nikon Monarch HG and Vortex Razors. That was my first opportunity to do that. Meopta and Conquests were the clear optical winners. Monarch HG and Vortex Razors were good, but not as good as the Zeiss and Meopta. The Conquests combined the optics of the Meopta with the size and handling of the Razors, and IMO was the winner of the group.

Taking a chance on the "upstart" Mavens, I am impressed with the optics they can provide for $300 new. I've not seen their equal for anything less than $700 new.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back