• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (8 Viewers)

Not very close. It is a fact that is very difficult to approach the large flocks. It's a simple issue: there is always a "hysterical" bird there, and it will fly when you are far away, screaming and scaring all the others...

1. Wounded Gull - Vadu (CT), August 25th 2012
2. Comparison - Vadu (CT), August 25th 2012

Attachments

• P8257991m.jpg
    P8257991m.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 54
  • P8257993m.jpg
    P8257993m.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
This is a pic made on 22/08/2012 at Axios delta.
I am not sure about this gull...any idea???

Attachments

• Larus.JPG
    Larus.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 78
Here, a few images of Baltic Lesser Black-backed Gulls from Skeppsbron, Stockholm. Three 1st Calender birds present at the minute regularily, always interesting at this time of year to check them for signs of moult. Two of the three are showing moult, whilst one remains in full juvenile plumage. First two images are different sides of the same individual.
A couple of really nice pale phase birds are the moulting birds, they really are stunning gulls...

Pics taken today, 9th September 2012.

Attachments

• Birds a 3.jpg
    Birds a 3.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 59
  • bird a 5.jpg
    bird a 5.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Bird b 1.jpg
    Bird b 1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Bird C 1.jpg
    Bird C 1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Common Tern

I think this is a Common Tern with the winter plumage.
Photo taken today at Gallikos estuaries.

Attachments

• common_tern.JPG
    common_tern.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 99
hi pete,

yea possibly - it has the bill of a cach, the gc pattern of a HG, tt pattern of a mich etc. - looks like it could be one from the "central/east european hybridzation belt".

well, i know people who would say this is a herring gull :-O

Last edited:
Herring Gulls?

A quick and rather unexciting question: are the inner primary windows on these two gulls (taken yesterday in Yorkshire, UK) enough to confirm their ID on this view as Herring? Cheers,

David

Attachments

• gulls07Oct12.jpg
    gulls07Oct12.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 47
  • gulls207Oct12.jpg
    gulls207Oct12.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 45
in the first pic there's almost nothing to go on other than the impression of 2 herring gull shaped large gulls, well with a strongish window but considerably dark inner webs of inner primaries. in the second pic it is clear that at least the left one has a darkish body and is a 1cy herring gull. the other (right hand) looks like a 2cy herring gull, but could be a paler 1cy too. i'd favour 2cy because window is even more conspicous in 2nd cycle gulls - but then not only in herring gull: 2nd cycle YLG, caspian and even LBBG can show a considerable window, so ageing is always necessary when going on the pale part of inner primaries. nonetheless: 2 herring gulls for me.

hi odysseas!

a michahellis it is but at least 4cy, possibly even 5cy with those large apical spots. dark bill marks can appear in a few adults too in my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back