• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

external mike or not? (1 Viewer)

Anders,
How would I know if mine is the CL version or the normal one? I bought it second-hand, advertised as a K6, but there was no box/documentation with it.
Cheers,
David

Hello David,

Sennheiser said it should read k6-cl on the device, i didn't look for
that since i thought mine was damaged and sent it in for repairs.
On the returned device i could not read k6-cl on it.

The best way is to compare it with a true k6 as i did, listen to them in a silent environment, at a low sound source.

Another way may be to record yours and the true k6 simultaneously on left and right channel on a recorder and look & hear at the sound track in audacity, compare levels in the channels, it should be visible if yours is a k6-cl, it has 18dB lower sensitivity if i am informed correctly.

Anders

Last edited:
Hello David,

Sennheiser said it should read k6-cl on the device, i didn't look for
that since i thought mine was damaged and sent it in for repairs.
On the returned device i could not read k6-cl on it.

The best way is to compare it with a true k6 as i did, listen to them in a silent environment, at a low sound source.

Another way may be to record yours and the true k6 simultaneously on left and right channel on a recorder and look & hear at the sound track in audacity, compare levels in the channels, it should be visible if yours is a k6-cl, it has 18dB lower sensitivity if i am informed correctly.

Anders

Many thanks Anders, and sorry for not replying earlier. I've just had a closer look at mine and found that it does say K6 on it in very small letters (ie without the cl).

David

I have now used the mike in the field in several occasions. Works real well. Just wondering what is a good windjam that also allows for easy access to the off and on button on the mike?

I have now used the mike in the field in several occasions. Works real well. Just wondering what is a good windjam that also allows for easy access to the off and on button on the mike?
If you find one please let me know. I've got a Rode Blimp with a furry cover, and it takes a lot of effort to partly remove the cover so I can undo the end to get at the switch. Obviously designed for phantom power.

I've been meaning to try to rig up some sort of hook protruding through the cover so I don't have to open it. I tend to just use the ME66 with its foam cover with a fur cover directly over that.

Thanks for the update! How necessary do you feel the external mic is? I have been looking for a recorder, maybe an LS12, or Sony pcm-m10, or Roland R-05 and am hoping I can get away without using one at least in the beginning. I'm also unsure which recorder to go with but am mostly hoping for an ebay deal or something similar.

Hi

I would not get a recorder that doesnt have a built in speaker for fast playback.

The external mike is a must if you are serious about recording. If it is only to record to learn the sounds it might be ok without it but not for sharing and using as proper play back.

I am happy with my gear.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back