• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony ICD-PX333 (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I'm starting a separate thread for this amazing little tool. So far I had posted a little in other threads

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=297633, and http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=296897

which does not facilitate finding the info.

The compact recording/playback tool measures about 115x35x20 mm and operates on two AAA cells. It has a microSD card slot. Most impressive are the relatively powerful built-in speaker and a surprisingly sensitive microphone.

In order to play pre-recorded sounds, they must be in mp3 format.

Like with many of these little gadgets, there are only few buttons. And some of these thus operate with drop-down menues to still allow many functions. I often find this type of organisation rather tedious. Particularly so if the reaction to one's action is rather slow. And the more so when - like in my case - there are often longer time periods when one hardly uses the tool or at least some of its functions.

Hoz that Sony ICD-PX333 workin' out for ya?

Did it turn out to be an adequate field mic or did you eventually upgrade? Are you or did you use it as a stand alone recorder or with a clip-on mic?

I'm trying to weed out the selection.

I'd rather not pay 3 bills just to get a set with directional mics. I'm not sure (no experience) that option is needed. On top of that, I'm not sure I'd get that much use out of it to justify the cost. Then again, I want something reliable at the end of the day.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, or anyone else's.

Tks

Hoz that Sony ICD-PX333 workin' out for ya?

Did it turn out to be an adequate field mic or did you eventually upgrade? Are you or did you use it as a stand alone recorder or with a clip-on mic?

I'm trying to weed out the selection.

I'd rather not pay 3 bills just to get a set with directional mics. I'm not sure (no experience) that option is needed. On top of that, I'm not sure I'd get that much use out of it to justify the cost. Then again, I want something reliable at the end of the day.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, or anyone else's.

Tks

Hi SanAngelo, sorry to be late, but I simply did not revisit the thread for a longer period. Next time, send a PM!

Anyway, here is what I have to say after still rather little use:

I still think it is the best cost / performance tool to start with. In fact, I prefer it over the more expensive - no longer available - Olympus LS-11. That one has a speaker that is less powerful.

The most important lesson I learned is to remove the batteries when no use is upcoming. All too easily do they ruin the recorder as one forgets about it, like between breeding seasons.

I did get a rather inexpensive directional mic, but the trials were not convincing. So I have not used it afterwards.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back