• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roland R-05 and Rode NTG2 (1 Viewer)

Mark Lew1s

My real name is Mark Lewis
Hi all,

I'm a complete novice with this sort of thing so please excuse me if I'm asking a stupid question!

I have a Roland R-05 recorder which I used to use with the CS-15S mic to record bird vocalisations. The mic broke however, and as it would have been costly to get it fixed, I decided to buy a new one. I was recommended the Rode NTG2.

Can anyone explain to me why the two units don't seem to be compatible? I can connect everything up together but the mic doesn't pick up any sound at all.

Help!

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hoping that someone who has experience of these items will leap in, however, one or two things to be going on with.
The CS-15s is stereo microphone hardwired with a 3.5mm stereo jack.
The NTG2 is a more sensitive mic, but is mono with an XLR connection so you must have invested in a cable to connect it to your recorder. It is possible that this cable is faulty. Have you set the menu to Mono - this will not stop the microphone recording but will ensure it will record to both stereo channels.
The NTG2 requires a battery to operate in the absence of 48v phantom power from your recorder, is that battery functional and inserted correctly ? Have you set menu item 'plug in power' to off as I don't think you need it?
How did the previous mic break - did it just cease to record a sound similar to the situation you are in now, in which case you may have a recorder problem.

Both the recorder and the mic have straightforward manuals and sensible settings so the problem should be resolvable.

Sorry for suggesting some first step thoughts that you may have already sorted, but it is tricky to diagnose at long range. It is fairly unusual for nothing to be recorded at all.

Last edited:
Hi iveljay,

Thanks very much indeed for your advice. I have set the menu to mono and set the menu item to 'plug in power', and it's sorted my problem. I'm now able to record sounds (well - the sound of my telly, at least...).

I will field test it and report back.

Thanks again,

Mark

I use a Roland R-05 recorder, and today I got the Rode NTG2 from my dad. Except I do not know what cable I need to connect the two. Is it a 3,5 mm mini-jack (male)/XLR (female) cable?
I would appreciate your input really much. Thank you!

If you run into further trouble if you go to the Rode website for your mic and click on Support, one of the FAQs is a very clear description of the wiring connections that need to be made to make the cable work. People seem to get variable results from commercial cables (some work well, some don't) so this is useful for fixing a problematic one, or better still allow you to construct your own from top class components.

http://www.rode.com/microphones/ntg-2

For audio work a soldering iron can be your best friend.

Anyway you have an excellent recorder and microphone so once you get the cable sorted you should get some excellent results.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back