• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Analog tape bird recordings (1 Viewer)

Spectreman

Hi all.
Just joined this very interesting forum.
I have recently taken up a new hobby of recording bird & wildlife sounds.
However, since I am a big fan of analog reel to reel tape media, I am using, for now at least, a UHER Report Monitor 4000 portable tape deck.
The record & playback audio quality is terrific.
I have been using an AKG C1000S condensor mic with it, not too bad, but could do better as this mic has a fairly high internal noise level so is not ideal for very quiet sounds.
Very soon I will have a Rode NTG4+ shotgun mic to use also, this will be a bit better for my outdoor field recordings I think.
I have recordings of crows, currawongs, rainbow lorikeets, and some others, but not too many as yet. I really look forward to doing a lot more !

Has anyone else here used analog tape for recording bird calls ?

Cheers, Chris

Hi Chris

Analogue cassette tape recorders were the only game in town for most birders until relatively recently. I have a Sony TCM-5000 EV gathering dust on a shelf, and breathe a sigh of relief every time I look at it, that I no longer have to lug the equivalent of 2 house bricks around when I go on foreign birding trips!

Cheers
Duncan

I'm interested to know how the quality compares with say a mid range digital recorder. Does even an expensive tape recorder have some tape hiss?

Hi. The audio quality is very good at 7.5 IPS speed, the only speed I use anyway.
Sure there is some tape hiss, but very negligible, way down in level, and I use good Sennheiser headphones too.
The internal mic noise is more noticeable than the tape hiss. If you use a good sensitive & high level output mic, there is no problem with any tape hiss noise on the recordings.
Sorry, but I must say the Sony TCM-5000 sounds not so good, the freq response spec for it is terrible !
I have never been a fan of cassette tapes, they are not up to par with open reel quarter inch tape that uses either full track or half track recording.
Cheers, Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back